What to use to repair outside cover for hot water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BarbLee

My hot water heater is located in a closet on the outside of the mobile home. The cover to this closet is weathered due to the elements
(I am in Phoeninx) and age of unit. What is the best way to go about replacing this cover?

The cover is not a door, but a panel that lifts off and out of the space provided. I hope this makes sense. I am new to this kind of repair and need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Barb
Yanita

Hi Barb,

Welcome to the site.

I am going to move this to the Repair forum as that is the nature of the question, please follow us there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Regardless what type of door you have now, the best replacement would be a manufactured mobile home door. You can get them through any of the online mobile home stores, but it is best to get them from a local supplier. (no shipping) They can get pricey depending on who you get them through. A good price is $175. On the bright side, they are very easy to install.

You might try
Action Mobile Rv
102 Pmb 40, Mesa, AZ 85205
Phone: (480) 830-0918

If you have a wood siding door, you can make a new one using wood siding. They usually just 'button-hole' into the opening. But you should glue fire resistant sheetrock on the back exposed area of the door panel. All exposed parts of the door should be fire resistant materials. You will also need to replicate the door vents. Usually there are big vents at the top and bottom. For siding, I like the Smartside product, because it is make of OSB instead of hardboard, but for the door, you may be better off with the hardboard siding. It will have less tendency to warp.

Just my thoughts on it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
yourpcguy73

do you still have the steel skin and the trim?
i just used a piece of plywood.
cut the vents out put the steel skin back on and locked it down with the channel trim.