Hide-away stairs...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Hi all. So I had a question re: the stairs on our carport entry. I recently got a SUV and the stairs we had there won't let me fit my car in the carport. So I was wondering if anyone has seen or done Hide-away stairs? Like on a track that slides out from underneath the home??? I know it sounds a little wacky, but am seriously considering doing this. I know it's prob. not the safest thing to consider, but was just wondering.. If yall have seen this could ya respond with a photo. Thanks!!! Take care and Happy Day!!!
kamikaze
Yanita

Hi,

When reading this post 2 things came to mind...

First the stairs would have to be in the hidden position for you to park...umm, how do you gain entry into your home?

Second, codes, in my area all exit/entry stairs have to to remain unobstructed.

Is there anyway the stairs could be turned. In other words, lets say you currently open the door and walk straight down the stairs, if so could the stairs be rebuilt to walk up them and at the top turn to gain entry?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

I totally agree with Yanita here. Rollaway steps would not only be illegal but very unsafe. What a lot of people do in my area is install extended awning posts. These posts will add about 2' to the width of the parking space. You would need to be sure there is room for the posts. I believe that in AZ, you need 3' between structures and the property line. This goes especially in MH parks. The posts can be expensive, depending on who you get them through. The picture below came from C&R Piers in Sacramento. I believe they do have a Phoenix office too. If you know a good welder, he could make them pretty cheap. Here's a pic.

JD

☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.