Peeling Paint

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

pj

I have wallboard without any texture feel to the vinyl. I painted my daughters bedroom (tsp the walls first) with latex kilz primer and kilz paint. Just peeled right off. The HD people said I needed to use oil based kilz primer then paint with kilz paint. This has stuck better, but if you hit it with something paint still comes off. Any thoughts before I paint more. Thanks!!!
Yanita

Hi,

I have only heard of this happening to a few folks. Thankfully I have never experienced this problem and feel bad that you are. Painting and prep is alot of work only to have the end results fail.

Unfortunately I am thinking that you will have to peel off the existing paint, try using oil base or try using a deglosser. Of course the walls will need to be cleaned completely after the paint removal and follow the instructions on the labels for the oil base or deglosser.

Good luck,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
pj

Thank you for answering. Are you saying I need to use an oil based top coat?
Yanita

Hi,

If you use an oil based primer you will need to use an oil based paint.

I personally dislike oil base, think I would try to degloss a small area, prime that area and then paint that same area and see what happens.

I do have a question though, when you orginally painted your walls, did you allow the kilz to dry for 24 hours?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

You might look into liquid sandpaper. I have no experience with it personally, but have seen it used a lot on TV.

Also, was your first primer a "bonding" primer, one that's meant to bond with the surface, even a smooth one, then accept paint? This is different from the regular primer that just seals and blocks previous paint, stains, etc. from bleeding through the new paint.
pj

Yes, I did wait the 24 hours. And it was Kilz Oil Based Primer. I don't have a can any more, so I don't know if it was a bonding primer. Thank you!