short cut a contractor used, would like feedback

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda OH reregister

My contractor used a large curved needle and monofilament fishing line to sew the belly wrap patch in place under the area of the bath tub and toilet where he replaced the missing insulation after we replaced the bathroom floor and tub. I estimate it was 3 ft by 7 foot area.

folks, how do you think the repair will hold up? better than the spray adhesive? only a year or two? since uv light is what breaks down monofilament line, and little light gets under the home, I think it will be a pretty long term fix, but I would like the feedback. It sure seemed a lot faster and easier than attaching the wrap to wood on two sides, and screwing the boards to joists, and spraying the other short ends with spray adhesive, like I usually do.

hey, I freely admit I was just thrilled that he and I had come to a price that I could live with that had him climbing under the home instead of me!

I am planning on reselling the home after the rehab, but I will be taking payments for up to 5 years, and I want to put out a decent quality product, and so the repairs need to be sound, but not overly expensive to do, and quick to do is good too!

Brenda (OH)
Harry

Hi

Not a recommended repair but will probably hold up a good long while.

JMO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Mark has the repair tape avalable, you may want to wait untill next spring when the weather warms up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

I wonder how much time that took? Sounds like patience to me.

You could always just tape over it like Greg said.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Jim from Canada

Sally has "sewn" our belly too. Use a sail makers needle and nylon fishing line (the old fashion type). Then, use the belly repair tape. The sewn part holds it together better than 6 pairs of hands while you put on the tape.

Jim
mist1953

Hi Brenda,

That's how I fix all my tears under my home and I've not had one problem and its going on three years now. There is not that much light that gets up under the belly. By sewing the damaged tear it puts less stress on the belly tape and less likelihood of the tape coming apart. Yes, it is a little time consuming but I know I have a good solid fix. If you were to look under my home it is clean and looks undisturbed, you would never know of all the holes and tears I had under there. I will not change my way of repairs as to me its a proven fix.