CUTTING WALLBOARD.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Hey another question for yall. How do i cut wall board without having it break up on me? Lowes said they couldn't cut it to size for me and all i have is a circular saw. Will this work?
kamikaze
JD
Site Admin

I imagine a circular saw could be used, but I have never tried one. I use just a utility knife for straight cuts. I cut the full length of the panel face and bend the panel at the cut. This will 'snap' the panel at the cut. Then use the knife to slice the paper at the back of the panel. If you need a section cut out of a single piece of panel, Gyp board will cut like butter with a hand saw. There are keyhole type saws made for gyp board. There is a fairly cheap one from stanley that has a very aggressive and sharp tooth pattern. You can also use a Zip Tool for these cuts, but you do not need to buy a tool like this just for a few cuts.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

A circular saw is MAJOR overkill, plus you would kick up a pile of dust and totally dull the blade. As JD said a utility knife is the easiest way to cut it. Greg
Last edited by Greg on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Well now Kam there's any number of ways to cut drywall/sheetrock/gyp-board. My first choice is a simple utility knife with a new sharp blade. Now, buy a good one! The ones with the "quick-change" feature. Stanley Tools sells a great knife for about $4 when they're on sale. Personally I don't have time to back out screws and dis-mantle a knife every time I need to change the blade. And I want that rubber-coated finish so it doesn't slip in my hands. And change the blades often! Drywall gammahooches up a blade in about 10 minutes of use. And cutting batts of fiber-glas insulation will do it even faster!! Pop out the old blade and wrap it up in duct-tape before ye chuck it in the trash. Saves you and the garbage man cut fangers! Now there's a lot of other ways to cut drywall too. I've used drywall saws ($6) to cut in receptacles and switch-boxes..they work right-smart well. And I've used the saw-zall as well. A bit rough but it git's it done in minimal time. And yup...used the circular saw and the table saw. Makes a helluva mess but sometimes I need a 4in. wide 8ft. long piece of drywall. Set up the saw and have at it! Plan on LOTS of dust. Will it hurt the blades? Hmmmm??? Carbide blades. I've cut thru railroad tracks..rocks..nails...wires...wood...concrete...deer bones....gun barrels...plywood...chip-board and sheet metal from aluminum to heavy galvanized steel and iron fence-posts...haven't had a problem with it yet. As always wear appropriate eye protection and ear-muffs. Do I reccomend it? No. Audie..the Oldfart...
Brenda OH reregister

another quick way to get rid of blades and screws, and small pieces of glass is to drop them in a used plastic drink bottle, and put the lid on it before you put it in the trash.

some sport drinks bottles have wider openings in the top and the utility blades drop right in.

Brenda (OH)