Leveling, floors, walls you name it

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg S

Rather than replace/lengthen the skirting is it possible to regrade and raise the ground around the home. More labour but possibly less cost. Would also have to grade under home or grade around in such a way as to allow water under home to escape.
JD
Site Admin

I would make some sort of mud seal base. A 4x6 pressure treated post on edge would raise you up over 5". They can be secured to the ground with wood stakes. I would want to grade the dirt to keep the top of the wood base level. As the thickness needed changes, go to a 4x4 or 2x4 flat to keep the top of the base straight. With the wood parts, you would be able to adjust the wood later down the road if needed. The skirting you have sounds expensive. I would want to save it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert Patterson

Expensive for sure. To do the house, front and back porch was $3000 for labor and material. It is covered with 16 gauge sheet metal both sides. Sits in a tray on the ground and screwed to the house and trimmed. I have considered using 6" pvc cutting it in half, laying the cut side face down and then covering it with dirt and pea gravel. The wife isn't real crazy about the idea though. She might change her mind after we get the price for replacement material though.
Robert Patterson

JD would the pressure treated wood eventually rot and have to be replaced?
BWdiver

pressure treated 4x6 will last a looong time, I have this setup myself and attached my siding on top of it, I did this for a border for mulch and build up of landscaping.

If you are really worried about rot on the 4x6 even though it is pressure treated, you can buy a couple of gallons of wood preserver and apply it for additional precaution.

Or go buy some form boards (the thin ones) form it up and hand mix and pour concrete, thats a good fix and will outlast all of us...lol

good luck
JD
Site Admin

As BW said, I am sure it would last a long time. A pressure treated 2x4 laid flat would probably be usable for 15 - 20 years. A 4x6 would probably last much longer but it is more likely that you or someone else will go for a different look by then.

Of affordable building materials to use as a base, only concrete would last longer.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Brenda OH reregister

This home is in North Carolina, the material may be cinder block. this may be a way for you to fill the 5 1/2 gap you now have in your skirting economically. the brick also lets a weed eater be used closer to the skirting with making holes in the skirting.

it may deter critters, unless you have armadillos, I hear they dig through about anything! those and fire ants are some things I avoid by being in ohio. we get black rat snakes under homes up here, I am just waiting for the time I meet one underneath a home and have my first heart attack lol!

Brenda (OH)
Brenda OH reregister

opps, the post should have read: without making holes in the skirting....

pea gravel may also be of use in reinstalling the skirting, you want to set the bricks level and not have to cut the insulation at an angle if you can avoid it.

BB