adding on rooms (newbie)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

milo2145

hi everyone

i am new to the forum and new to mobile home living having lived all my life in wales uk, we dont live in mobile homes much over there.

so i lived in a brick house my whole life, now i live in an old (1973) fleetwood mobile home, its fairly cute and was remodelled with 3/4inch wood floors and new carpet and insulation, roof and windows etc about 10 years ago.

the problem is we only have 2 bedrooms and a tiny bathroom, and there are 4 of us, we are so cramped. my hubbie wants to build on 2 more bedrooms and a master bathroom, is this viable? i didnt know you could build on to mobile homes, how much would it cost and would it be worth it
this mobile home is not on any sort of foundations, it is on bricks and has some sort of "stakes" or something driven into the ground to hold it down i guess (sorry for the technical terms lol)
thanks for looking at this
allison :P
rdavy

Very carefully.

There is a book that is sold here on mobile home repair, that details adding on. The book is worth it's weight in gold - I know I have one.

I added on a couple of things a porch and a bedroom. The porch is free standing but does have flashing covering the gap between the roofs. The bedroom is also free standing but with a large gap between. IMHO do not put any additional weight on your mobile home it simply is not designed to handle any extra. Do not tie into the roof of the mobile home or depend on it any way from my experience it is inferior to anything that you can build.

Best of luck to you.
Greg

Hi & welcome.Additions are something you have to be VERY careful doing. Since I don't know your location I don't know if frost is a factor or not.

Mobiles do shift around some, especially in colder areas where the ground freezes. When the ground freezes it heaves some. Now when you put an addition on it will also heave, at a different rate and sometimes in a different direction. Homes have actually torn apart by this. The only way around this is to put a below the frostline foundation in for the home and addition.

Mark (the site owner) Has written a book that rdavey refered to in the "Books & parts" section of the site. It covers about any problem you may have. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."