Electrical issues

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nichols31

I had just purchased an older mobile and as my wife and I were fixing it up we noticed that there is no power in the master bedroom and the light in the other bedroom isn't working,the outlets do work though(we changed the bulb).They had updated the electrical box,all the switches are turned on can't see any loose wires,so basically I have no idea.I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows what it might be.I kinda wish the person who sold it too us gave us a heads up.Any info would be appreciated,Thanks :)
nichols31

Oulets in master dont work or the light.Outlets in second bedroom work but light doesn't
Greg S

They may both be on the same circuit.
If your panel does not properly identify what is on each breaker (fuse) make an effort to identify each one. You will then know which breaker the rooms are on.
If you end up with a breaker with nothing on it that is the one you want and it may be defective.
If you do not then those rooms are on with other lines and your trouble is with your wiring to the outlets and lights. There is likely a open at a point ahead of the non working outlets/lights.

You may also have a secondary panel, that feeds those rooms, that has a breaker tripped.
Not much in the way of specific help but maybe a starting point.
Brenda OH reregister

If you can map out as many of the outlet, lights, stove, dryer, washer, fridge, etc and breakers as possible before you call an electrician, you may save some of his time and some money.

(ex: set up a portable radio on a loud volume in a wall outlet, go turn on and off breakers until you hear the radio shut off, then try the radio in all of the other plugs in the same room, have all ceiling lights lit, turn on off breakers and see which lights go on and off)

if you can at least start to tell him which outlets and lights work, and which don't again, it may save a half hour or so.

do you have a ground fault circuit anywhere? if it is going bad, and tripping, and someone is resetting it and not thinking about it, it could be a cause of some of the problem, especially if the problem is there sometimes and not at other times.

outdoor outlets are also prime suspects if the problem happens in rainy weather, and goes away in dry weather.

good luck on the detective work, and please call the electrician soon!

Brenda (OH)
Greg

Nichols, I will give you the standard answer when it comes to Electrical (and Gas) questions here. We do not give specific answers in these areas. This type of work is not the place for "on the job training", one mistake can have fatal results and NO ONE here wants that on their sholders.

There are books avalable at home centers or call a qualified electrician.

We don't want to sound hard nosed but as I said your safety comes first. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."