condensation from back door frame

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AndyH24

Help! The back door on my 97 Clayton has an aluminum frame and during cold temps the frame stays wet on the inside and the water runs down to the floor and is rotting the floor. Also when really cold the water inside turns to ice and frost and the door freezes shut. I have tried putting weather stripping to seal any air leaks but it is not any better. I think it is just because of the aluminum frame. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Andy
Greg

Andy, Hi & welcome. that sounds like classic condensation, there really is not a lot you can do about it. Try some different weatherstrip, but if it is the cold coming through the aluminum there is not much you can do other than change to an insulated door. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
troyster

Same problem with my door. I will be replacing it with regular insulated home door as Greg has suggested. Those old "wimpy" mobile home doors are pathetic, drafty and source of major heat loss.
Brenda (OH)

are you getting any benefit out of the door, is it seeming to help block the outside air? if it is not doing much, would putting a small opening into it at some point let the water vapor go outside rather than condense on it?

what I am trying to point out is, if the screen door in the home I am working on does not latch completely, i see little to no condensation on it when I open the main door, but if it is latched, their is a lot more condensation. since I have not been getting drips, I have not addressed it. if I start seeing water, i will consider venting it.

ok, experts, please comment merrily away, i am sure I am missing something in my theory.... lol

Brenda (OH)
Yanita

LOL Brenda,

My only comment would be is the OP is referring to the main door, not the screen/storm.

Merry Christmas,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!