Coleman Evcon DGAT070BDC Problems(furnace start up problem)

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

claydog422

The furnace has to different problems. The auxiliary blower does not shut of after furnace shuts down. The furnace also clicks quite a few times before the main blower motor kicks on, if it kicks on at all. If it doesn't kick on you can usually turn the heat off at the thermostat wait a few minutes, turn the heat back on then it will work. I had a hvac tech look at it and he replaced the booster relay which took care of the auxiliary blower problem,(which he charged us $65.00 for). But it still seems to be laboring to try and start. I can hear some kind of clicking on and off for 5-10 minutes before it actually kicks on which is the same thing it was doing before he looked at it. How long should it take for the furnace to actually produce heat after the thermostat tells it to. This has been an intermittent problem for a while. Sometime the furnace starts and sometimes it doesn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plus we got ripped off on the part. We'll buy from you guys for now on!!
Robert

Hi,

Is the burner igniting and the blower motor just not starting as it should or is the burner not igniting as it should also ?

The burner should ignite around 1 minute after call for heat.

Blower should start when heat chamber reaches 110*.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
claydog422

The burner is igniting. The blower motor just isn't coming on
Robert

Hi,

I would suspect the fan switch # 7975-3281. It can be tested by testing each side terminal to ground for 120vac.

You should have it on one side at all times and then after heat chamber heats up, you should hear it click and see the other side show a change from 0vac to 120vac also.

It can be seen and ordered through PayPal from left side of page:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
claydog422

Thank you very much for your help. I'll give the fan switch a try and let you know
claydog422

Upon looking at the furnace again. the fan switch was just replaced at the end of last winter (thought that the part # was familiar). And it did not help the problem. Could i have got a bad part??? Anymore idea's.
Thanx
Robert

Hi,

There is always a possibility of a bad part, but most often is is the fault of a yet undetermined problem.

Only way to know whether the fan switch is bad or what the problem is would be to test the circuits, one component at a time to locate interruption in power.

Thanks,
Robert
claydog422

Finally found out what the problem is. The deflector on the heat exchanger broke off and was creating turbulence which kept knocking the flame away from the flame sensor. A new exchanger is needed to fix the problem the right way.
claydog422

Any info on the heat exchanger for this model would be greatly appreciated.
Robert

Call toll free to 1-877-263-7860 and ask for Mark and/or email him at

info@mobilehomerepair.com for a price quote.

Thanks,
Robert
philly

This series furnace may have a recall listed to replace the heat exchanger . Contact your HVAC vendor or search on the YORK or Coleman website.
This recall is several years old .
Philly from Frankfort Il
Robert

Hi,

Your furnace is not listed under the recall.

Thanks,
Robert
philly

Robert

without getting too emotional (and I am on this subject) the heat exchanger design is suspect on many models .
The two recalls --attempt to beef up the inner walls and the replacement heat exchangers on the DGAA090 now require another part addition .
The point is the heat exchanger design is weak and YORK denies any problems.
Every furnace over 5 years of use in a northern zone should be inspected for heat cracks in the exchanger after every season .
Philly from Frankfort Il
Robert

Hi,

Not going to get into a debate, emotional or otherwise here. That furnace is not listed under the recall as you suggested it may be.

Being suspect and being under recall are two entirely seperate issues.

A heat exchanger can fail anytime from day one to day 5000 and should be inspected every year whether you live in a northern or southern zone.

That was not the issue, a possible recall was and that furnace is not under recall.

End of discussion on this subject.

Thanks,
Robert
philly

Robert
I assume you don't work for Coleman or York Intl .
I have copies of the Safety Bulletin and it states models coleman,Coleman Evcon Red T model numbers DGAT070XXXAND DGAT075 NATURAL AND PROPANE have safety recalls .
These were manufactured 1997-1998-1999 .

No need to answer
Philly from Frankfort Il