hot water for washer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sheila_917

I moved into a 70s MH about two yrs ago-it had been moved here and I had it joined and set up. Washer and Dryer were here/installed. I don't have any hot water coming out of the faucet. How do I check to see if hot water was "hooked up"during set up? As you can see, I DON'T HAVE A CLUE what to do. Although I'm all for saving the environment, sometimes you just need warm water to wash!! LOL
Thanks for any help.
Yanita

Good morning,

Have you checked to make sure the hot water valve is turned on. This will be where the water lines come into the home behind the washer, typically they are visible.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg S

Typically there are two rubber hoses that attach to the back of the machine and connect to individual taps as Yanita has said and should be turned on.
In the event they are both on then your problem may be with the machine itself. The controls may not be opening up the valve to allow the hot water to enter. This will likely require a repair tech to visit.
oldfart

M'am along with the other excellent advice..here's a coupl'a things to look for. The 2 rubber hoses that provide water to the washing macine are clearly marked..HOT and COLD. Make sure they warn't reversed when they were hooked up! Yes..it does make a difference! All the washing cycles will be reversed. (cold wash..hot/warm rinse) Now if the lines are correctly hooked up and the faucets properly turned on.... lets look at the next possibility. On both ends of both hoses there are screens to keep smutch out of the washing machine which will clog up the various valves in the washing machine. Turn both valves OFF and unscrew the rubber lines and clean/clear the screens. DON'T throw the screens out! There's a reason why they are there! Just pop the little rubber washer out and pry out the screens and clean them in the kitchen sink. Now put 'em back in..don't forget the little rubber washers!...and hook up the rubber lines..hot to hot and cold to cold. The back of the washing machine is also marked...HOT and COLD where the lines hook up. Okey-dokey...everything hooked back up and snug? Good..now turn on the faucets and try it. Got hot water now? Inquiring minds want to know. Audie..the Oldfart....
sheila_917

Thanks guys. After going and turning on the hot water (the hose to the washer is disconnected right now) faucet on, there is "some" water coming out, but not much. (Now I remember doing this when I moved in, seems CRS is taking over!!) Guess it's plugged. Neighbor says I have to go to the hot water heater, turn off the hot water (what a pain as the HWH cover is screwed in from top to bottom! oh well!) and take the front of the faucet off to check to see where it's plugged up. When I turned it on, some sand (I live in the desert) came out with a trickle of water. Well, off to get the ladder out!! Why is NOTHING easy on these things? LOL
oldfart

Aye M'am sometimes I get lucky and a clog kin be cleared just by turning the faucets open/closed/open/closed/opened/closed until whatever chunk of debri that clogged it up breaks free. The passages in most valves/faucets are quite small actually. Remember to remove any screens/airators on faucets and such before throwing in the towel and calling a plumber. Audie..the Oldfart...