New owner, kind of curious!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

98REDMAN

This might be a dumb question...just bought my first home 1998 Redman 3-bedroom and 2-bathroom. Just wondering what the quality of Redman homes are compared to the rest? Also when i turn the heat on(propane heat), where the vents are in the floors and underneath sounds like a popping or cracking. Is that just the heat vents expanding and contracting with the temperature, or do i have a problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site and congrats on your home.

As for the quality of Redmans I can say that I have heard good things about them. But the quality of your home will depend greatly on the maintenance that the former owners did or didn't do.

To have a reference to go by look in the "stickies" on the main page and you will see and Article I wrote on "Purchasing a used MH".

As for the popping sound you here, I suppose that could be the issue, although mine do not do that nor have they in the 2 homes before this one. Does the popping only happen when the heat comes on?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
98REDMAN

Umm....thanks for the reply. It only does it right by the all the vents, and yes it only happens when the heat is turned on. Its kind of like a knocking/popping sound. I don't know about other times of the year. Ive only lived there for a little over a month now. But it only last for about 15-20 min after the heat is turned on. I'm assuming that it just the vents expanding and contracting with the temp., because its been pretty cold in PA lately. Also only being 23yrs old and this being the first house i ever bought to start out in I'm a little nervous/cautious with every little noise i hear...HA-HA!
Yanita

LOL, understandable, you are younger than my youngest son!

Your home will make difference noises and you will get accustomed to them.

Since you are in PA, make sure that your skirting and underbelly are snug. There are lots of post on this. If it is not then your water can possibly freeze. Also go to the Articles link and read the reasons to NOT let your water drip on freezing nights.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome. You will find that many Mobiles do make strange noises, If you have Aluminum siding it may make noise when the sun hits it and the metal expands, Metal roofs can also do the same thing. Winds can set off noises as well. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
AbbottsManor

My 1990 Skyine does the same thing, it is the metal ducts expanding and contracting as they heat and cool. I live in Pa. also.
Jim from Canada

I have an '88 Redman. They have their faults. I usually heat with wood, but circumstances have forced me to start using the furnace. I opened the floor to find that the ducts are mangled at the funace. Will have to crawl under and fix it this summer. The home is OK but as you work on it, you will find that they had Mr. Happy on the staple gun and will spend a lot of time pulling staples and brads.

Jim
98REDMAN

Thank You everyone for the information. It's greatly apprecaited!
Harry

Hi

My 1988 Homes of Merit makes the same sounds.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?