New member w/ plumbing problems

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Goose

Hi, my Mom bought a DW repo and is trying to fix all of the problems that came with it.

There is a sewer smell coming from the guest bathroom. I replaced the toilet's wax ring and the sink's vent cap (thanks to this sight :D ). The smell is still there. Is it safe to get on the roof to snake the shower's vent pipe? Any other suggestions?

The kitchen sink gurgles when the washer is draining. It sounds like water is coming up the drain line. Should there be a valve or something that prevents that?

That will get me started. I am sure there will be more questions.
Thanks,
Greg

Hi & welcome. It does sound like some sort of blockage to me. You should be able to snake the drains & vents with no problem. Check under the home also for any leaks.

The washing machine Gurgle makes me think that there is a partal blockage. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wislndixie

You should also have a vent stack coming out of the bathroom that vents the toilet draiin line. Not sure what kind of flooring you have in the bathroom but when we bought a repo, they had put carpet in the bathroom and we had a similar smell. At some point, the old wax ring had leaked and the wood in the floor had soaked up some of the water. After replacing the toilet and retiling the floor, smell was gone.

Unless the water from your washer backs up into your kitchen sinke, the gurgling may not be a problem. Ours has done it from day one when either the washer or dish washer drains I hear the gurgling but they both drain just fine.

Wisln
Goose

The floor around the toilet is good. We already pulled up the carpet and put down some temporary sticky tiles. Ceramic tile is another project.

I will snake the vent and drains to see if it helps.

Already been under it to check for leaks. No problems there except where cats have torn the underbelly. Need to fix that too.

Thanks for the replies. I was scared of falling through the roof and causing a bigger problem. :D
Greg

Stay on the rafters/trusses and you should be fine. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."