large aquariums and mobiles

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

guppylove1985

Hey everyone,

my fiance and I are in the process of buying a 1976 mobile home that we have been told needs releveling. We have two large aquariums, a 130 gallon and a 120 gallon.

I'm wondering if we will have to relevel the home before we can move in the aquariums and fill them, as I'd hate to have them bust through the floor or crack! :shock:

Thanks for any tips!
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site. Well, if you have been told that it needs releveling then it probably does. If you live in a warm weather climate then you can get your home releveled anytime of the year. If you live in the northern regions then you need to wait till spring.

As for the tanks I would make sure that the floors are solid in the area you place them. I would also cut a piece of plywood the length and width of the stand and place on floor underneath the tank. You might even consider adding extra blocking under the home in the area that these tanks will be in.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome. We had a member here that installed a big tank through his wall so it was visable in two rooms. He did a lot of extra work to make sure it was supported. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
guppylove1985

hi guys, thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I definitely do want it releveled, but you hit the nail on the head, we're definitely northern and need to wait till spring to relevel, but are moving in before then. I am just wondering if it needs to be releveled BEFORE setting up the tanks :wink: Or if that is something that can be done while the aquariums are set up and running in the home.

I bet the in wall room divider tank looks gorgeous!
Rod

I am assuming these tanks are 6' long x 24" or 18" wide. Either way your total weight including tank glass & equipment will be well over 100lbs sq/ft. I would follow Yanitas advice. If you decide to place along an outside wall you MUST add blocking so the outriggers arent taking all the stress and start to sag. Allthough no matter were you place it I would add blocking. I would also have the house leveled first. This will avoid having to re-do any blocking under the tank an eliminate any shifting once filled with water.
Hope this helps.

Rod
Yanita

Hi,

I think the tanks would be fine during a relevel, providing they are on solid stands. I would consider reducing the water level though during the actual relevel.

If the tanks are installed prior to relevel then you will/might have to adjust with shims on any and all blocking under the home.

Another thought...I do not think I would install both tanks end to end on the same wall.

If you are interested in installing the tanks in your interior wall I believe you can check out our archives and look for post authored by RickD.

Yanita
Greg

As for weight, figure around 8 pounds per gallon. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
guppylove1985

thanks so much for your advice everyone! We will definitely place them along separate load bearing walls and add blocking underneath them, and also the sheet of plywood under the stands.

I'm glad to hear that it is possible to relevel the home with the aquariums in there and filled, like Yanita said we'll just likely have to lower the water level.
Yanita

Hi,

On placement of these tanks I recommend that each tank be placed perpendicular to the floor joist. This will disperse the weight evenly on the joist.

Once you are moved in and all set up please post some pics of your home and tanks in a personal photo album. This can be done when you set up your profile, which we like all members to do as well. :D

Oh, if your home is a single wide, then chances are slim that any interior wall is load bearing. In multi sectional homes all walls perpendicular to the joist are load bearing. not sure what you have for a home.

Look forward to helping you in the future.

Yanita