Kitchen remodel ventilation question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oroadwarior

Hi,
We are currently planning a kitchen remodel and will move the stove from the wall to an island type set up. Has anyone ever used a bathroom fan over the stove for ventilation in the kitchen. I have found several kitchen / bath fans on-line that say they are used for kitchen or game rooms also. We also have a cathedral ceiling and none of the installation instructions cover sloped installs. Range hoods are large, expensive and a pain to install on a sloped ceiling.
and the last thing I want to do is fix a hole I shouldn't have cut.
JD
Site Admin

I wouldn't think you could get enough power out of a bathroom fan for actual cooking use. Also, a range hood traps most of that good smelling cooking air which is the greasy stuff in the filters and on the hood. All that air will be meandering towards a bath fan creating a terrible stain on the ceiling. Just my thoughts on it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
oldfart

Well now, as one who loves to cook I thought I'd just jump in here with a few thoughts. I love the "island-style" stove concept. I'm at my best in front of a stove...flames rising and good quality pans searing virtually everything. The problem is..exhausting all the smoke, grease, fumes and heat. It ain't easy and it ain't cheap. There must be a way to suspend an affordable range hood over an island cooking area. But I haven't quite found it as of yet. I'd worry about using a bathroom fan. They weren't designed to handle what yer askin' it to do. In particular the grease laden smoke&fumes. In most well designed island cooking areas the hood overhead is huge...funnel-shaped and draws in enough air so lift yer hair up. Don't know how that'd work in a cathedral-style ceiling. There are some options of course! My daughter has a Jenn-Aire stove-top (center-island-style) that has a fan that draws the offending ditrius down instead of up! It's free-standing and there is NO overhead fan! Not sure how it filters it...hmmm? Even has a built in bar-b-que-grill thingy!! Works like a charm! How much do they cost? I couldn't afford to ask! Audie..the Oldfart....
HouseMedic

If you look around hard enough you should be able to find a down draft fan. Just remember that it has to be duct outside and not just under your house.

Ron
Jim from Canada

You could try hanging an open shelf type of pot rack from the ceiling trusses over the stove and mount a regular stove fan on that. As long as it compliments the decor, something along this line should work.

Jim
oldfart

Hmmmm...? Well now ya'll got me to pondering something. I like the idea of simple wrought-iron supports coming down from the cathedral ceiling to support an affordable range hood. A self-venting style hood..no need to make big holes up thru the roof to vent anything. As long as ya keep the filter clean this should work just dandy. Mind ye..it won't do much to dissapate the heat...I can accept that. A simple thru-the-wall fan (original equip.) working alongside of this would handle that problem. Eh? Something else I pondered was building a simple box...that attaches to the cathedral ceiling and drops down low enough to get the affordable range hood close to the cooking surface to actually work. It could be as simple as a 2x2 frame with drywall and faux brickwork on the outside. An affordable range hood installed and it'd look right-smart! Now the same problem arises..without an outside vent in the actual range hood there is still heat from cooking to be delt with of course. Not a problem in the winter....it's free heat. And in the summer a gas grill out on the deck negates this problem. Hmmm..? Audie....still pondering it....
donuts1a

We have an island range hood with a standard range hood mounted below an apparently custom wood and drywall flue cover. We purchased a new gas range and demolished the center island cooktop cabinet. We plan to istall a new vent hood over the new range since the current custom flue cover and vent hood are ENORMOUS. Will place new 36 inch tall wall cabinets mounted on a toe kick behind the range and protect the back of them with stove board or metal range hood backsplash. Would like to use metal vent pipe cover rather than a drywall surround, but do not know how to attach it and the range hood to ceiling. Any ideas?