Vapor Barrier

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Michael

So I had a water main break last year and caused my 83 DW to sink a little bit...
I had a company come out to give me a bid on re leveling the house which has been in the same place for 20 years. They said it would cost me $550 to re level and they use a water level...they also said they could put extra blocking and stabilizers and a vapor barrier down for $1800...
I'm not sure if I should have this extra work done or not...it has always been as dry as a bone under the house for as long as we lived here...
So guys what says you?....should I?....house is in Oregon around the Metro area of Portland....Thanks guys!
Dean3

Personally,I would hold on to the $1800. Sounds like the most important work is done and the 2nd most(leveling)is in the works.

"Dry as a bone" is pretty hard to argue with in My book.

Dean
Greg

$1250 sounds to like a lot of moisture barrier & extra support.

I would look at the frame rail, If there is only light rust on it after 20 years I woul not worry a lot about it, plus that is a job you could do on a nice warm summer day. After 20 years unless you have changed or remodeled something I would not worry about extra support. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would agree with Dean. Hold on to the cash if the extra repairs are not needed. If there has never been a moisture problem under the home, then the vapor barrier on the ground would not really be needed. It is rare for me to see plastic under a home here in Fresno, but we have a very dry climate. 11"-12" a year.

I would check the pier pads though. Many times when I am asked to relevel an older home, I will find old treated plywood pads or regular pressure treated pads that have rotted. Trying to level a home on rotted pads is probably a wasted effort.

It is possible that stabilizers are a current requirement for your area. Generally, this type upgrade would only be an issue when it comes time to sell the home.

The $1800 sounds like a good price to do the work, but again, if it is not necessary, why spend the money.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Dean3

Curiosity overload on My part;;

If it is normally ummm normal under a home could installing a ground vapor barrier add to dry rot possibility?

Dean