Smoke alarms

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Gourdlady

I have two factory installed smoke detectors in my 1990 Fleetwood double wide. Well, either they are smoke detectors or some kind of heat detectors. I'm not sure. They are mounted about 3/4 of the way up the wall in the livingroom. They are wired into the electrical system. When we loose power they go on and off slightly during the time the power is out.

My question is that one of them has recently started to go on and off slightly now and again even though the power is on. Is there something inside of it that could be going bad? This worries me and I'd like to solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.
Yanita

Hi,

Check to see if there is a back up battery, it might need replacing.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

They are hard wired smoke detectors. They have a 5-7 year life so that is usually why they start chirping.
You can find replacement 110v detectors at any home center or even walmart. I would replace them with a 110v plus battery backup units, that way they still operate in a power failure. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Gourdlady

Thank you for the help. They are the originals so that must be the trouble. Chirping is exactly what it sounds like.

Yep, I just went and checked it and it is hardwired as you say. So I need to get another hardwired detector with a battery backup?

I have other battery powered detectors in the house too. I don't know anything about electric. Will I need to have an electrician install or is it a simple procedure?

Thanks
Greg

There is a plastic plug on the back, just pull it out to remove it. if you already have battery powered detectors it is your call as to what you replace them with. The main concern is that you have operating detectors. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Gourdlady

Thank you Greg. Yes, I saw the plug. So, I can get new one that I can just plug back in and not have to mess with the wires?
Brenda (OH)

If you can find the same brand of detector, it might just plug onto the old plug, no rewiring.

Brenda (OH)