help! my dog has torn out the insulation under M/H

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

milo2145

here is the story - i really wanted a dog, so we got a puppy, a great pyrenees, who really loved to go under the house to sleep. now he is getting big i decided to stop him going under there, so i started stopping up the hole in the siding he was going through.

when i looked under as i was doing that to my horror i noticed he has ripped out most of the fibreglass insulation under the house, there are huge piles of it under there!, what do i do!, i have no clue how to work with this stuff, or how to attatch it - please give me some advice, my husband has refused to do it because its "my dog", so i have to learn quickly.

:shock:
flcruising

Highly doubt you'll be able to salvage the insulation. The belly material under there may also need to be replaced if there's chunks missing. The easiest way is a large patch to cover the damage.

First thing you should do is craw underneath with a tape measure and see how large the hole is, and how much insulation has been removed. Then head up to the hardware store and buy some fiberglass blanket insulation, maybe even a water heater blanket, a dust mask and some gloves. You'll probably have to order some repair material for the hole in the belly wrap from here if there's too much gone to gorilla tape or sew back. Good luck, and wear long sleeves.

http://mobilehomerepair.com/Order2.html#catalog
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Milo, The insulation & underbelly material is designed to hang UNDER the joists like a big thick blanket.
Mark has underbelly supplies avalable in the books & parts section of the site. Depending on how shreaded the material is you might be able to save some of it, He has the underbelly tape also. About the only tape that will hold it is underbelly tape. As long as you are looking in the parts section, look at buying the repair manual also. It covers about every type of repair you might need (underbelly too!!) . Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

All the above sounds good *after* the dog has been successfully stopped from ever gaining access again..Might wanna build Him a doghouse or sumthin 1st.

Dean