Upgrading 15 amp circuit to a 20 amp???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi-Tek Redneck

Hello all!

I have a 2003 Commodore Breckenridge modular, and would like to upgrade one of the CB's from a 15 to 20 amp...

The circuit is all of the outside outlets (supposed to be GFI, but they replaced 1 with a standard outlet because they'd keep tripping especially around Christmas with the icicle lights on) and it also includes the spare bedroom my 7 yr. old daughter is in. The CB's aren't labled worth a crap what they service, so I'll need to get a CB locator test set to find and lable exactly what each CB services.

Does anyone see any safety issues with upgrading the CB? (Yes, I also understand I'll need to replace the GFI outlets with 20 ampers as a part of the upgrade.)

Thanks for your input!
Greg

Hi & welcome. We as a group here do not answer questions in two repair areas Gas & Electric.

Due to the fact that we have no idea as to the poster's abilitys in these areas and we feel that repairs in these two areas if done wrong can have the potental for fatal results. These areas are not the place for "On the job training" when someone's life may be at risk.

We recomend contacting a qualified Electrician or at the very least purchase a book on the subject at any home center.

We are not trying to be hard to get along with, but no one here wants to see anyone hurt or killed. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi,

Just want to add something to Greg's post, then I will re-lock the thread as I did see danger already lurking.

With any change to higher amps, you must also change the entire circuit wiring to higher amp rating.

Please call a licensed electrician and also consider the fairly high labor cost to do so.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?