burned out capacitors, bigger problem or simply replace it?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

seb

I have a simillar problem with my coleman heat pump. Breaker suddently tripped, at the exception that I noticed a broken part when opening the panel.
The capacitor literally exploded in two half. I think this is due to short circuit due to really wet weater or water touching the capacitor.
It is a small capacitor with three branches, someone told me it was a "pc booster capacitor" type ceramic ceroc 35.5 mf.
That person told me it is not a pricely piece (around 30$) but I wonder if such a surcharge burned other component like the defrost control (I hope not) I did'nt noticed any other burnt parts than the capacitor, but I don't want to replace it to burn again at the next power on.
Any advice or simillar experience?

thanks..
Mathwei

A number of things can be wrong other than just the capacitor, however it could have had a power surge of some sort and popped it. It's a cheap fix to see if that was the only problem and then have someone check amp draws and voltages that the unit is running and getting.

They make a surge protector for heat pumps and condensing units such as SUPCO's SCMPLUS that helps with surges and "lightning strikes".

All capacitors "boost" in one way or another. That is a dual run capacitor that is 35/5 MFD. Which means the compressor side uses 35 MFD and the motor uses 5 MFD to help run, or use less energy per se.
Robert

Hi,

Make sure area is dried out, stop any water leaks into unit and replace the dual run cap.

Match the 35/5mfd and also match the voltage, either 370V or 440V.

Then you can check amperages and see if it kicks breaker again, etc....

Variation of things that could have caused it. Getting an hvac tech out could prevent another occurrence and possibly more costly damage.

Best protection from surges, lightening,etc. would be having an electrician install a surge arrestor in main home power service panel.

Protect everything electrical by stopping it at entrance point.

You could still use surge protectors at appliances, units, etc. as backup to be sure and all should be fine.

Also be sure your condenser unit is protected at unit or through wall t-stat by a timed delay breaker to keep unit off 3 to 5 minutes after a power stoppage.

I prefer 5 minutes.

I deleted other post also.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
seb

thanks for the reply, I will replace de capacitor and then post back the results.
If any other problem occurs I will call a technician.

Is it a good idea to build a "roof" to prevent snow and rain to reach any parts.

If so, what should be the distance over the fan (I assume that too close will prevent it to draw air)

thanks
Robert

Hi,

You should be able to just seal up any cracks or places where water is getting into the control box area of condenser unit.

If you wish to build a roof/canopy above it, a minimum of 6 ft. is best.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?