Please...need advise...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TonyPa

I tore the carpet out of one of the bedrooms today. And seen black mold on the floor, near the wall, and of course as the bottom of the wall.
Then in the closet of the other bedroom, I saw mold at the top of the wall.
Theres a new roof on it, and i am sure I know why...
I can tell some of the window frames/seals are a bit dried and rotted. Do I have to gut the walls to get all the mold? I am worried. My daughter has asthma, and i am really worried now.
I am sure the roof no longer leaks, but I did notice on the window seals, the rot, and caulking missing. I know I can rip that out, and replace, and caulk. But to be sure of all the mold being gone, should I rip the walls out. Or am i just being too paranoid? I am so worried about my kids.
Jim from Canada

IMO I would try to erradicate the mold. You may be able to get away with bleach solution in some areas. In my experience, once you start tearing things apart, you will find more. Bad stuff and worth your time to get rid of.

Jim
Yanita

Hey Tony,

I am with Jim on this...you really should remove the interior wall panels and get rid of the old. Also if those areas inside the wall has been wet it is no longer any good and would need replacement anyways.

This will also allow you to check for any interior wall rot..studs, sill plate...

Sorry Buddy, but you gotta do it to dry it out.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
TonyPa

I kinda of figured that was the answer I was going to get. I guess I just wanted to hear it from my new family here.
it won't cost tons to redo each room. I do all my own work.
Also. besides bleach, is there something else i should use?
Yanita

LOL, Eye protection and a mask. Make sure to completely saturate the mold areas with bleach/water solution. I generally use a 70/30 mix bleach being the 70%.

Yanita
TonyPa

Thanks dear. Sure thing. I have a full blown respirator that I spray cars with.
I smoked for 30 years, and finally quit 2 years ago. So I am definately trying to keep my lungs clean.
Greg

Well Tony, It looks like you are in the same boat that I was a few years back with our daughters' home.

I went in with the plan of a total rehab and the hopes that some could be salvaged, ya right. There was a Mold problem there too, so, after a 95% rebuild it was new & mold free. Key word being WAS. I was told last month it is coming back. I suspect the the problem is UNDER the home since the area turns into a small lake in the spring with the snow melt. So now it's back to Square one plus some type of forced ventilation under the home.

I guess what I am telling you is To look at ALL of the possible sources Before thinking the problem is solved. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TonyPa

This is like a nightmare. My wife is afraid to even move in, and wants to resale the place. Ugh!!
Greg

If you are up for the challange and enjoy doing this type of work I would just jump in and do it!! You will know everything about your home and how it is built also you can make any changes & upgrades you want as you do it. Greg
TonyPa

I have no choice, we have to move, our areaa is a warzone!
What is forced ventilation?
Mine has vented skirting all the way around?
And of course, the mold I am seeing, it mostly on the walls where the window seals were shot out.
Yanita

Hey Tony,

Did we discuss what a moisture barrier is...real simple...lay 7 mil plastic on the ground under the home. It must go from side to side, end to end. We have ours overlapped at seams by 6 inches and taped. The outer edges as well as the piers the plastic goes up at least 6 to 8 inches.

Any ground moisture that the "down under" receives here evaporates but the moisture stays under the plastic opposed to being wicked up under the home. This is not an expensive job but certainly a PITA.

Since you have discovered mold in the window areas it is safe to assume that every time it rains water gets into the interior walls, I assume the insulation is wicking it up and making it spread.

Ummm, to sell the home now knowing there is a mold problem will mean you by law have to disclose this info. That my dear will cost you dearly. To alleviate some panic on the wife remove the carpet inspect floors, you can live in the home with bare subfloors, not pretty, but doable.

Start with opening up the lower half of your walls first, check it out. If you believe there is no mold above it then you could replace the bottom half with a bead board or other product of your choosing.

Open up some skirting and let the air pass under the home freely for awhile. Keep exhaust fans running in the home. Open some windows as well. Gotta get the air moving in that home.

Keep us posted. On a side note, did you have this home inspected by a professional prior to purchase?

Yanita
TonyPa

Wow, this os overwhelming. I didn't have a home inspection. The park owner sold it to me as/is. I owner financed it, for 24 months. I had no idea of the mold problem. But I suppose as/is, I am pretty much stuck. So i guess I have a lot of work ahead of me.
I am willing to do it. I just did not know they were allowed to sale a home this way. But then again, I did check the home out, and signed papers stating as/is.
The skirting has venting all the way around. I am going to open some up, and just let the air flow.
Thanks for the tip on the plastic. I will do that soon as I get the ground aired outa bit. Wow. My nerves are shot!
Greg

Tony, It's easy to get overwhelmed. Try not to let it get to you. Remember that in 2 years you will have a home that is YOURS free and clear!!

It WILL take some work (and time), but as I said YOU will know what was done and that it was done right.

By forced ventilation I was thinking of putting a fan under the home to keep the air moving. When I said a small lake I was serious, there was 3 inches of water under the home a few weeks ago, and the empty lot next door to her had knee deep water in places. Greg
Dean3

70/30 bleach isn't bad but for mold I was advised to "use 100% bleach and not laundry bleach",,till then I thought "bleach is bleach". That was after river flood water tho,I dunno if the same goes for relatvely "cleaner" damage/mold,,with farms all around run-off makes floods extra nasty here.

Dean
Jim from Canada

Laundry bleach will work and is probably cheaper.
Take a deep breath Tony (not in a moldy area) and pick away a bit at a time. 1st things first. Get rid of the mold and dry it out. We have been living on subfloor for years. Lots of cheap rugs around and yard sale/family reno offcasts. Lots of places we see insulation because of drywall removal.
If you have to get new insulation anywhere, I recomend Roxul brand. It is not bothered by moisture. There is another type made of blue jeans (yes the pants) and treated with boric acid that is also good I hear (boric acid is safe, the used to clean newborns eyes with it). There are lots of folks here to help you out. If you can get the skirting opened up it makes it easier to work underneath. Make sure that it can be ventilated during the warm months, closed for the winter. Try to stop any further moisture from entering the walls etc. as you go.

Jim

Jim