Building an addition...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

C.J

Hey everyone :D ....I am a newbie here and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading along, there is lots of great info here!! I hope this is the right thread to post this question. :wink:
We will be purchasing a 20 X 76, two bedroom mobile home soon and are hoping to build an addition. The addition would have an office and third bedroom and perhaps a 3/4 bath as well.
Our dilema is that we don't want this to look like an add on but rather part of the home. We have come up with the floor plans etc but seem to be stuck on the roof line and how to go about creating this look. :? We want it to look modern and add to the curb appeal.
I've been researching the internet looking for photos but so far haven't come up with anything for the exterior of a mobile and addition.
Does anyone have any ideas or web sites that you have found helpful that offers ideas and photos!
We would appreciate any help you can offer!! Thanks and looking forward to many more hours of reading! 8)
AlanF

What are the dimensions of the addition you plan to build?

My suggesions will hinge on the dimensions.
C.J

AlanF wrote:What are the dimensions of the addition you plan to build?

My suggesions will hinge on the dimensions.
We are thinking of roughly 16 wide X 22 long, with a 16 X 16 deck as well which would connect the addition and the back door.

The common door way between the addition and the home would be off one side of the dining room.

The back door would be our main entrance, which is just off of the other side of the dining room, because that is where the large foyer and coat closet are.

Does this make any sense??? :?:
AlanF

is the deck going to be covered by the addition roof as well?
C.J

AlanF wrote:is the deck going to be covered by the addition roof as well?
No, it would not be a covered deck.
AlanF

alright, well you said 22' deep, and the trailer youre buying is 20' wide. Imagine taking a 16' length of the trailer roof and turning it sideways at a 90 degree, perpendicular angle to the trailer....as if you looked directly down onto the top of the house the ridge of the roof would look like a capital T shape.

on the side of the addition roof, slope it back in towards the house so that it follows the same pitch as the original trailer roof, so as if you were to stand directly infront of your house and the addition was on the left, the left slope of the trailer roof would have the same slope as the left side of the addition roof...

So the addition roof will have a ridge running across the trailer roof, sloping front to back....and the side will be slanted in at the same pitch as the trailer roof so it all looks symmetrical...this will look better as close to the front of the trailer as you can. The further back you go I might change my mind and have another suggestion for you.

Hope that makes sense.
AlanF

here look at the top floor of this house...
http://www.cahomeinsurance.com/images/m ... ners_1.jpg

thats mostly what I mean...except instead of a point at the highest part like in the picture, you will have a ridge at the same height as the trailer roof...but that pic gives you a good idea what it may look like
AlanF

or this one, the addition roof part would be on the right hand side in this pic
http://www.dehavenconstruction.com/roof ... 980804.GIF
AlanF

another suggestion, this would be my suggestion if your addition is more than about 16' from the front of the house (based on own personal preference for asthetics only)
would be something like this,
http://www.ivieleaguehomes.com/Images/B ... -Gable.jpg

take a look at the covered entry portion, this would be the trailer, then the pitch continues to rise higher before it breaks and slops down again, this would be the addition roof.

This way would also require more work IMO. And it also looks best IMO closer to the front of the trailer.
C.J

Thank you so much for all your help....this helps to give us a visual, and yes, this is more what we are looking for. The mobile is on an acre of land and not in the city so we have the room and even if it costs a bit more we want it to look good. We lived in a mobile years ago and are looking forward to this move.
Right now we are thinking of putting the addition on the front side of the mobile, that's why we weren't sure what it would look like aesthetically...but we may have to reconsider and build it nearer the back then the common door to the addition would be the back door rather than the front one....although the down side is that it would cover the window in the laundry room.
Back to the drawing board!! :) Thank you again Alan for your time and help.
Yanita

Hi,

There is alot to consider when adding onto a MH.

First off all additions should be free standing, in other words do not attach to your home with a ledger board. What is your current foundation?

If using a MH furnace this unit will not be able to supply the needs of the addition. It was designed nor sized to do this.

I recommend that you purchase our Additions manual that is found in the online store in the BOOKS/PARTS link in the task menue.

Here in the states this type of work will require a permit and plans submitted prior to building. Also do not forget to let your insurance company know.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!