Removing caulking from a shower

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Seacoast Sharon

I have scrubbed and scrubbed the corners where the caulking goes along the shower door. I'm tired of looking at this black built up eyesore that is embedded into the caulking. I want to remove it with a razor knife and re-caulk. I'm just worried about scratching the actual shower. Should I just be careful or is there a better way.
Seacoast Sharon

Ok I did a search on this forum and saw a suggestion of a heat gun. Here's the thing the door and frame is not screwed in so when the caulking comes off so will the door.

What's the best way to have the door stay in place once we re-caulk I can't imagine standing there holding it for hours??????
Greg

Can you post a picture or two? I have never heard of a door being held in place by caulk. there may be hidden screws or it could slip into brackets. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Seacoast Sharon

Well you are certainly right Greg. I went home and looked and said to the husband you don't see the screws? The frame is screwed in. I said thanks for making me look like a fool on the mobilehome site. We're good now.
Greg

I don't mean to make anyone look like a fool. They sometimes hide the mounting screws under rubber bumpers, if you just look quick you may not see them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I just hold the bottom channel in place with the side channels and caulk it into place with silicone adhesive caulk. I have never screwed a shower door bottom channel into place.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Seacoast Sharon

Project got done this weekend. Old moldy caulking off and new mold resistant caulking in. Nice clean shower now. Thanks!