re-roofing or roof over?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StealthWyvern

Hello,
I recently just discovered your website here. I’m looking at doing a roof over or re-roofing my house. Obviously the roof over will be cheaper. I did find an article where you lay fairing strips running length wise of your house and install foam insulation in-between the fairings. However it did not mention how far apart to put these fairings nor did it really state what I need to secure it all down to the roof. What’s to keep the screws holding down the fairings or metal to permit leaks?

Also another concern is how will I get up and clean the roof off every so often with the foam? Right now I just hop up their and step on the ribs(old metal roof, domed) with a leaf blower or broom. I currently have a few leaks where the previous owner “repaired” it and my roof looks like it has been patched and patch tell it can’t be patched no more.

I forgot to mention that I currently own a 1971 Hier home that’s 14x70 ircc, but its really 12x70 due to the bay windows on each side of the house. I’m looking at doing this some time next year as hurricane season is coming up. Oh I forgot to mention that my house is under a bunch of oak trees so I need to be able to get up their and clean it off every so often.

Thanks,
Stealth

Edit: I forgot to mention that if i do this myself is this something that I can do a little at a time? I also have no idea how I would build the end caps or over hangs.. not to sure what they are called.

Edit #2: What would be better in my situation? a re-roof or a roof over? I have to get up an clean the limbs and what not off the top of my house every so often.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Stealth and welcome to the forum.

I don't install these roofs but I believe the furring strips are 2'o.c.. You may want to check with your local building officials as this roof may not be approved for your wind zone or they may want the strips at 16" o.c..

You would still be able to walk on your roof. Actually, it should feel like a concrete floor compared to what you currently have. Well, a lot stronger anyways. I would recommend using the polyiso foam board rather than the polystyrene foam as it is a lot firmer to walk on. Just stay off of the overlapping ribs. Also, you should use a heavy gauge paqn with the flat, hi-low pattern rather than the old style wavy corrugated pans. I would only install a hidden fastener type pan instead of a face nailed pan.

As to how you would trim the curved "gable" ends, I am not really sure on this type of roof. I install an insulated panel roof on curved roofs and it has the same basic problem. I cut my trim in 20" to 30" pieces and start from the two bottoms and install towards the peak, overlapping the pieces just 1/2" or so. It does not look nearly as nice as a flat roof, but it is not so bad. Just keep your pieces symmetrical, using the same size piece on each side. The may be 2 23" piece, 2 32" pieces, and a middle piece, or whatever fits best. I use a straight edge to determine what length each piece should be. Hard to explain, but you can work it out. Maybe you can get by without a trim on the rake ends. Maybe just a 1" overhang would be good enough if you fasten the panel down real good and seal it. Check with your local planning office.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
StealthWyvern

Thank you JD. Do you know or point in the right direction to see what would be permitted here in jacksonville, fl as far as the roof goes? A hurricane hasn't hit jax's in god only knows how long. They seem to say down in the orlando or lower florida. I'm only 30 min from the GA border for those curious where I'm at.

BTW JD you seem to be the goto guys it seems!
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

You would need to get in contact with your local building codes office and see what they recommend. Every area seems to have variances in their codes, especially those of us that are in hurricane prone areas.

LOL, yes, JD is our go to man when it comes to roofs, this is one of his specialities. We have another member, Harry, who is in the Florida area and he could very well direct you to the places and requirements you need.

Hopefully he will see this thread.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!