Refirgerator question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

buffee

wasn't sure which forum to ask this. Just got rid of the original mobilehome fridge.....piece of &^%$. anyway the new one is a small aide by side its 25.7 cub. ft. anyway like everything else in a older mobilehome the wall plug is about 3 feet higher than the new fridge....and of course the cord is only about 3 feet long. I really hate to move the wall switch. I have talked to many people and I was told I can use a industrial extension cord(a short one) or a appliance surge strip..I have it plugged into a surge strip now, becos my food would go bad......any opinions? I know today they make surge strips, cords for everything. thanks
DigitalDreams

Because refrigerators are running a compressor just like your air conditioner and even tho they may be energy efficient models when running the surge on start up of the compressor is the issue and
low voltage can damage their compressors so go to a qualified
repair place for fridges and tell them your make and model and
your problem using a drop cord on a high draw item can be a disaster
waiting to happen. They can fix you up with a one piece cord for longer runs and it won't void your warranty.
RandyD

Get yourself a air conditioner extension cord :D
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!
Greg

You should be OK with an A/C extension cord, but I would look at getting the outlet moved. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi,

I agree with Digital here, get the proper length cord made and installed on fridge.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
DigitalDreams

The reasoning behind getting a longer cord is two fold:
1: If cord is undersized and believe me on premade cords just cause the outside diameter is large doesn't mean the wiring inside is and running a undersized cord can void warranties as well as be a fire hazard.
2:Any non soldered or wire nutted connection is not a total connection there is always a small amount of arcing no matter how small the loss and over time if you have ever seen a plug end that looks blackened or darkened from the shiny
copper color it was when new it has had arcing and corrosion which acts as resistance to the the connection which can build
heat.

And also for safety never use same plug in as fridge is on for other
electrical items if it is a 2 outlet plug tho most newer homes have a dedicated single 20 amp outlet for fridges.

By eliminating connections you lower the chances
of this extra connection wearing and arcing and heating which is safety issue you have seen fire safety commercials that say don't plug 5 items into a drop cord its not safe, well that fridge is like plugging those 5 items into the drop cord.

And believe you me when I say safety is tantamount because I had a
friend who done just what you are proposing with a drop cord in a brand new DW and it now is a car trailer.

If you don't believe me on the safety issue my friends DW looked
like the picture JD posted about 10 minutes after the electrical fire
started.
Robert

Nobody was doubting anything you said here. The a/c type cord they are speaking of would work as well with no safety issues.

Drop cord was NEVER mentioned.

Having proper length cord made and installed was a very quick and easy method, so I agreed with it, but going a/c cord route would also work IF cord was from right a/c unit.

Non-soldered wire nutted connections are also fine IF the correct wire nut and connection method is used.

However, those type connections were also not mentioned along with drop cords.

ANY future attempts to go overboard with the safety policy here will be deleted immediately.

IF there was a safety issue in that thread, one of the 2 moderators who posted would have deleted, locked or said something.

Many pros intertwined with the very experienced homeowners here as well.

I'm locking this one now before it heads south.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?