what is that smell?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cas1414

Our son told us of a smell coming from under their bathtub/shower. Since we had temporarily repaired cracks in the tub a couple of months ago, we were thinking the worst. This morning DH decided to take out the tub and see what we had. Luckily, the floor under the tub was fine, no water issues. However, the drain had a crack in it and was dripping onto the insulation. It didn't look like it had for long. The smell was from a dead little furry creature in the hole where the drain pipe comes in. The earliest we can put in the new tub will be next weekend. He took off the trap thing when getting the tub out, so now there is no trap on the drain pipe. We either have to leave the hole uncovered and put the trap on in order to put water in it or not put the trap on and cover the hole to prevent any other visitors!
I guess the boys get a new bathroom sooner than planned.
Greg

I would just screw a block of wood over the hole and either stuff a rag in the drain or cap it untill you are ready to connect it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DigitalDreams

Yes plug it if you took off the trap, sewer gas is stopped by the trap and sewer gas is methane
which is!

A: Not oxygen, therefore humans do not breath it in quantity.
B:A flammable gas which
will ignite if allowed to concentrate.

That why they tell you not to light a match in a sewer .