Questions About Metal Roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sweintraub

Hi,

I work for a non-profit and we are trying to help a client put a new metal roof in his home which currently has shingles. It is a single wide home. I had some questions that would help us figure out the costs:

1. Can we get end caps with a drip edge on it? And if so, where?

2. We are hoping to just install the metal roof over the shingles. Can a mobile home support a double roof?

3. The metal ridge cap that is currently on the shingled roof seems to be in good shape. Can you reuse a metal ridge cap?

Thanks for the help!
Greg

Hi & welcome. My first thought is to tell you that you are better off ot rip the shingle roof off. that way you can get a look at the decking and repair and bad spots, It will also reduce the weight.

As for the endcaps, I would use standard drip edge depending on what you have now. the ridge cap you may be able to reuse depending of how hard it comes off.

I'm sure JD will add to this since he is our roof expert. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I totally agree with Greg. I would definitely removed the shingle roofing and make repairs necessary. On the edge trim issue, I would have the edge made by a local hvac duct company (everyone has one), that would be more "Z" shaped. The leg on the top side of the roof would fit the ridge closest to the rake (gable) of the roof. this would cause any water getting under the edge to channel down the roof. Having the Z edge made would be pretty cheap. You would know where the ridges are in the first panels installed. The last panel on that side would have to be determined when you are ready to install it. Math probably won't be good enough as the panels can spread, tighten up or go off of parallel slightly by the time you reach the end.

Personally, I would opt for edge trim. Also, I would not mix metals. Steel with steel and aluminum with aluminum.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.