Floor slants close to wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lowery3171

I have purchased a 12 X 48 Monarch mobile home, vintage 1968. It is a summer home at a lake and has been there since about 1970. It had settled to the rear and you could tell by walking that it was not level. I had the trailer leveled which has made a tremendous diference. However there are still two places that did not improve by the leveling. In the back bedroom there is an area across the width of the trailer that starts at about 2 feet from the wall and slants more than an inch lower at the wall. This wall has a 30 X 24 window in the center. There is another place along the length of the trailer in the living room that starts from about 1 foot from the wall and drops about 1 inch. This one is only in the living room and not the rest of the trailer. This wall has 2 30 X 40 windows in it. The floor is solid when you step on it. Looking at the trailer from the outside there are no visible signs of warpage in the siding or the or the skirting. I have not torn into anything yet and I am looking for advice as to where to start and secondly can it be fixed or at least stopped.
Greg

It sounds like the floor joists have bowed down. This is usually a result of excessive weight on the roof. If you look at the way the home is supported it is easy to see how this happens.

The only advice I can give you is to add permiter blocking to support the weight directly rather than through the floor joists. This may or may not bring the floor back to where it is supposed to be, and in all honesty I doubt it will. If not you have two choices, either live with it or redo the floor joists to make it flat again. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Johanna Bruns

I also own a vintage mobile (1970). If you look underneath, you may find that the floor joists run the length of the trailer instead of across, as mine do. Here's what's going on with mine, (maybe with yours?). A previous owner put 3/8" plywood on top of the subfloor throughout. Below many of the windows, the floor slants because of water leaks around the windows that have ruined the particle board subfloor, and it's not squishy to walk on because of the top floor. All it takes is time and money, of which I have neither right now (lol)!

Keep us posted...
Johanna
Yanita

Hi,

This is one of the many reasons we never advocate laying 2 subfloors. Always remove damaged wood and piece in new.

I know neither of you are guilty of a bad repair, just letting everyone know why we advocate replace.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lowery3171

Thanks for the info. I will let you know my progress.