Results in, from adding a Drop Ceiling under the Cathedral .

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TheyCallMeDave

I wanted to share this info with you . I installed a lay-in acoustical tile Drop Ceiling which consists of a white metal grid that accepts 2x4' lay-in tiles (1" thick insulated) . I also went wayyy overboard and layed R30 / 9.5" thick Batt insulation above the drop ceiling. This is for my Living Room which measures 15x24' and is located in the exact middle of the Mobile Home.

My reason for this project was because of the incredible amount of heat i was getting in which made it so very uncomfortable , and, in hopes of reducing my a/c runtime. I finished up this morning and by 3 pm it was up to 96 f. outside, and sunny. Owning an infra-red thermometer, I had been taking temp. readings on the cathedral ceiling and was getting 100 f. + on a 96 f. day ; taking a reading on the new Drop Ceiling, im getting 80 f. (which is also what my Thermostat is set at). I cant tell you how much more comfortable it is now in the room where i spend the most time ; in fact, I feel I can bump the thermostat up a couple more degrees and still be comfortable. Immediately, I noticed the a/c system not running as long too . I wouldnt be surprised if a good 40% of the heatgain was thru the cathedral ceiling. It also looks real good and definetely provides sound deadening. The Drop Ceiling stands about 7' off the floor.

I had a Contractor install the Ceiling Grid for $800 total, and I installed the insulation and tiles ... for an additional $350 . I feel it was a very good investment and one that will end up paying for itself . I hope this info. was encouraging and useful to someone. Regards.
JD
Site Admin

Thank you for the update. You got great results! Upload a picture if you can. I am sure a lot of members are interested in this type of project.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
TheyCallMeDave

JD wrote:Thank you for the update. You got great results! Upload a picture if you can. I am sure a lot of members are interested in this type of project.

JD
Im afraid i dont have a digital camera thats working. But, Lowes/Home DePot/and Menards all carry this very popular drop in ceiling . It really works good and its nice not to be sitting in an oven anymore.
Greg S

Was there an existing vapour barrier above the cathedral ceiling?
Did you install a new vapour barrier below your new insulation?
Did you do anything to vent the dead space above the dropped ceiling?
flcruising

Ditto what Greg said. If anything, cut/drill some holes in the old ceiling panels to allow air/vapor movement above the new insulation.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Brenda (OH)

This question is for educational purposes... lol

what type of roof material does the home have? what color roofing material?

I am wondering if a lighter color roof would cause less heat to enter into the crawl space, and less to get into the ceiling

I have heard of reflective materials that are used in house attics, that are attached to the bottom of the roof sheathing. would such a material work in a mobile home attic space?

Brenda (OH)
TheyCallMeDave

Greg S wrote:Was there an existing vapour barrier above the cathedral ceiling?
Did you install a new vapour barrier below your new insulation?
Did you do anything to vent the dead space above the dropped ceiling?
I have no way of knowing what is just below the roof / just above the cathedral ceiling . I would hope they put a vapor barrier in. I didnt install a new vapor barrier above the new drop ceiling. Im not venting the space above the ceiling which amounts to roughly 2' in the center tapering down to 0" at the walls....but my plan is to wait till winter then have a look up there to see if condensation is forming . Plus, im going to be renting a blow-in insulation machine to do my two attic spaces, and thought at that time that i might blow in insulation for the cavity that is left above my drop ceiling. Hows that sound ? Thanks.