Coleman Evcon A/C BRCQ0301CB

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

freebird62

Last year my A/C unit stopped working. I did a few trouble shooting ideas and thought it was the capacitor. The repair people were out yesterday and confirmed the capacitor is out. Now my question to you is............ARE THEY KIDDING ON THE COST TO REPLACE IT? They quoted me 181.00. And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't I see the capacitor in the parts section of this site listed at 17.35? I need to save as much money as I can. They tested the compressor and said it is very good. So I am assuming the capacitor will be replaced and I should be ok. Please someone tell me that I can make the repair by myself. I can't afford the 181.00 especially if the part is 17.35.
Robert

Hi,

Yep, $17.35 + $8.00 shipping. Order through PayPal from left

column on this page here :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanAC.html

Short across the terminals with a screwdriver while holding insulated handle.

Remove screws from strap, mark where wires go, remove wires and connect one by one to new run cap, mount back with strap.

FAN (fan motor) / COM (common) / HERM (compressor)

Sorry for those in our trade that choose to rip off those who entrust them for their services.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
freebird62

Thank you for the response and installation directions. Let me go over a few things with you while my part is in transit. When you say "short across the terminals" what exactly does that do? I have the power completely shut off to the A/C unit while doing this repair. And are ALL screwdrivers insulated at the handle? And when you say "mark where wires go" how ? With a marker? Can I take a picture of how it is before removing the old, and follow that as my guide?
Sorry for the simple questions to someone who must do this all the time. I am alone and want to make sure I understand things before I start to mess with them! I am sure you can understand that!
Thank you in advance for your most needed knowledge!!
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Capacitors can hold a charge large enough to severely hurt and/or kill if not discharged.

Even after power is off and removed.

Shorting across the terminals will remove any charge that may be there.

IF there is a large charge, you could hear a loud pop and see a spark, but it usually is not that bad, if at all.

Most screwdrivers will/should have an insulated handle.

Just run the shaft across all terminals touching them to each other a few times.

Draw the run cap terminals on paper .

Mark a number to each terminal on drawing, then place a piece of tape on each wire with correct terminal number.

Match numbers to reconnect.

You can take a pic, but above gaurantees right connections.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
freebird62

Robert,

Thank you for the advice and installation information!! WE HAVE AC!! I just love this Forum/website. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

Thank you to ALL associated with it!!!

Enjoy your day!
Janet
Robert

Hi Janet,

That's the news I like to hear !! You're very welcome, happy to help and thank you for the kind words.

BTW, my wife and I will be coming with our Church group to Ohio next month on a missions trip.

Will be our first trip to Ohio (Middletown).

Take care and best wishes,
Robert