Plumbing, wall issues

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jasonksizemore

Hey there, I've started my plumbing project. Got pex stretched out in yard straightening out. Got tools ready, but had 1 question. Is it possible that since I have all PB that I'm replacing that bathroom shower,tub fixtures with lines having to be accessed through wall, are PB not just from main, but also to spigot? Reason I ask is I want all PB gone!! And wandered how easy it would be to remove a piece of wall panel to access all behind tub, and not cut access panel, because I would either have to have one tall panel to go from faucet to shower head area or two smaller ones. Also, if I do the access panels, how do i find the exact spot to cut, without causing a huge hole. This bedroom is painted three shades of purple, (daughters room) and no paint left over to repaint and match. Thought might be easier just to remove whole panel do job, then replace panel. Thanks for your help.

Jason Sizemore
He that hath the Son hath life, he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 1John 5:12
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jason,

Pulling interior panels off of the wall is great for replumbing. If the panel is not glued to the studs or have a lot of built-in cabinets connected to it, you should be alright. You may still need some spot paint for nails and such when you are done though.

Will you be using a PEx drop ear coupler for the shower head? Good way to go.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jasonksizemore

I'm hoping the ones I got at Lowes will be all right. If not let me know, and I can go and get the others. Can't add pic to post, feature not turned on, and everytime go to my profile space I freeze up. So here's link to the one I planned on using.
Let me know if this one will be ok.
Thanks,
Jason

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/a ... er_id=5239
He that hath the Son hath life, he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 1John 5:12
Yanita

You can upload pics.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
jasonksizemore

Thanks Yanita,
I had seen where alot of other people had problems and you went and fixed their settings. Would have asked you to look at mine but kinda busy with this project!!! Just came out from under for a break. It's working now, of course!!!! What about being able to actually go to my profile space??? Whenever I try, this is what I get:

Could not obtain extra user info type table

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 2006 MySQL server has gone away

SELECT * FROM phpbb_mps_details_info_type ORDER BY order_id

Line : 97
File : mps.php

Well, time to go back under, thanks again for your help, also, I figured out how to create my own personal album, how do I move pics from the public interior projects album I posted to to my album??

I'll understand if you want to move this post now.

Jason Sizemore
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jason,

I have seen the drop ear coupler, like the one I pictured, at both Lowe's and Home Depot. The drop-ear allows you to add a 2x4 block between studs and mount the drop ear to that block. This keeps the connection to the 'goose neck' rigid and stable.

Are you sure that is a shower coupler you got? It looks more like a toilet valve connector. Usually, you just want a small hole in the shower panel, and behind that the drop ear or other coupler with just female threads. This way you just push the goose neck through the hole and thread it in. I am not sure how the twist on fitting will help for a shower head.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jasonksizemore

JD, I saw those when I went back to Lowes earlier, but then got home and saw your post about how to best use them. I hoping just going back the way it was will work. Take a look and see what you think.

Old PB line from back of bathtub to shower head.

Old and new that I made.

Each of the ends up close.

Assembly for master garden tub from where hot/cold mix and come out then have to actually be fed to faucet.

Line attached to back of bathtub faucet.

New line attached to back of bathtub faucet.

I'll find out if all works when water comes back on, hopefully this evening!!!

Jason
Robert

Jason and JD,

That is a multi-use coupler that is mainly used on showerheads and faucets here.

I also prefer the drop-ear, but cannot always get them if I'm out or cannot get a brace in to get use out of them.

In those cases, i use what jason has and have never had a callback or failure yet.

Jason,

I even used them in my own home doing the same exact repair/remodel you are doing now, LOL.

Ran out and it is half drop-ear, half swivel coupler. :lol:

Should be good to go if the crimps are good.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Robert & Jason,

How do you get the goose neck to feel strong and stable on the shower wall, when using that other type of shower connector? I have done it many times with galv. pipe, but the PEx tubing does not seem to be strong enough for me.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Robert

JD,

All I do is insert the showerhead and faucet base through holes in wall.

Tighten the nuts down good on opposite side of wall.

Then thread on the swivel female nut.

CPVC and/or PEX is so light, with nuts all threaded on secure, never had the first sign of problems at all.

You could always improvise something if needed, but don't see a need for it.

IF you want the pipe long run/riser part secured, nail/screw in a cross brace or two to secure riser section to.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Harry

Hi

I used a PEX drop-ear like JD suggested about 5 years ago in a shower that gets a lot of traffic. It has held up well.

Installed like the photo:

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?