Correcting frost heave

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Norm

Greetings!

I've been lurking a bit here lately trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can since I am looking at assuming the mortgage on a '92 Carrolton possibly within the next 2-3 days.

I've looked at the home once and most things appear to be "ok" but it does look like there are issues related to frost heave that may not have fully manifested yet.

My question is... - Do most mobile homes rest on jacks that can be adjusted to accommodate for frost heave?

If not, my second question is, if frost heave has occurred and is buckling the floor of a home is there anything that can be done to correct it short of cutting out the affected area and and replacing it?

Thanks in advance!

Norm
JD
Site Admin

All mobile/manufactured homes properly set up can be releveled, be it adjustable steel piers, concrete blocks or permanent foundation/seismic piers. If a permanent change in ground level changes, the piers would be adjusted to level the home.

In areas like mine, where frost heave is not an issue, piers are usually just set on pier pads on the ground. Areas with cold winters and frost heave are better served with concrete footers going into the ground. Not all areas that have frost heave problems will have concrete footers as a local code requirement.

The best way to start is to get a water level kit from the books and parts link above and Mark's Mobile Home Repair Manual which will have a section on leveling homes. With the water level, you would be able to accurately check the level of the home to know if that is the cause of the problem.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

NORM!!!! Most homes that are effected by frost return to normal after the ground thaws. over the years the home may settle some and need releveling, but the next time the ground freezes the problem may come back.

As JD said the best way to prevent the problem is below frost line footers. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm

Thanks a bunch guys!

Great site you've got here.. - Full of good info.

Hopefully I can get under this house tomorrow to get a better idea what's going on.

Thanks again!
Norm