Tile a shower?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

beanwabr

Hi, I'm new here. My husband and I have a 2002 double wide mobile home. The plastic shower pan in master bathroom has had a crack in it for a while now. We've been trying to put it off a repair; now things are only getting worse. There is a slight mildew smell and there are many 'spongy-feeling' places all around the floor that seem to move and/or be in a different place each day. I feel like I will fall through if we don't do something soon. My bro-in-law was supposed to come by and do the work (at no charge) of pulling back the floor and replacing wood as well as the tile work, but he is undependable. Neither me nor hubby have experience with this but bil told him what he'd do and dh thinks he could do it. We're trying to figure out also which would be less expensive (rather limited funds) and not take too long ... tile it, as opposed to finding/buying a new pan to replace this one with. When we went to Lowe's to look at tiles they were pretty heavy - would a mh support tiles?

Any video, websites, books, information would so much be appreciated. Thank you!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Floor & wall tiles are not reccomended in a Moblie due to the fact that mobiles are designed to (and will) move slightly throughout the year. Tiles on the other hand won't. There may also be a weight issue.

I would go with a fiberglass tub & enclosure. make sure that if you need to replace the subfloor that you use plywood or at the very least OSB. Greg
Last edited by Greg on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
beanwabr

Thanks Greg! I guess I am confused because there are already tiles on the wall, and then the shower pan...I believe it is plastic...is there a difference between that and fiberglass? The enclosure is glass-like. Hubby thought about going with tile on the bottom part; he's had a hard time finding the correct size pan...has checked Lowes and Home Depot.

I didn't know such a small place where a leak is could cause such problems!
Johanna Bruns

Do a google search on "mobile home shower pan" and you'll get several companies that specialize in these things. I'm dreaming of my bathroom remodel, and have found several sources for a shower pan that'll fit in my 27x56" tub footprint. I believe JD said that the factory pan in a manufactured home is usually ABS, and fiberglass is much more durable.

HTH
Johanna