Outside fan not running, inside fan won't stop running

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

2canSAM

Having an issue with my Split AC Unit. I am going to try to be as descriptive as possible so please forgive the length.

Inside Unit - EB12B
Outside Unit - BRCQ0361BB
Age 13 Years for both units

About 1 week ago I noticed the AC was not blowing cold air, so I checked the condenser (outside) fan and noticed it was not running, also noticed the refrigerant line was cool but not cold like it usually is, so I shut off power to the unit and checked out the condenser fan. It turned freely by hand with no resistance, also checked the capacitor to make sure no wires had come loose. Seeing no obvious issues I put everything back together and decided to place a service call. Lo and behold when I turned the power back on the condenser fan started like normal and the AC was blowing cold air again. Everything seemed to be working fine. Last night the problem resurfaced. I was getting chilled so went in to bump the air up from 74 to 76 so as to shut off the AC. Now there is normally a small delay from when we adjust the temperature until the unit actually shuts off but after a few minutes of the inside blower not shutting off I starting checking things. I found a similar situation as a week ago, Blower running, no cold air, and condenser fan not turning, and the refrigerant line was cool and not cold again. I went ahead and shut power down last night leaving the unit off all night. I started messing with again this morning. The condenser fan still turns easily by hand, and if I bump the air down, to kick the AC on, the contact on the outside unit will close, an I am pretty sure the compressor is running as I hear a very faint humming sound, but the fan will not turn. The capacitor looks rough but not bulging or leaking. Also during all of this the inside blower motor is running constantly no matter what my thermostat is set to. I tried Fan = Off with Cool, Heat and Off and it continues to run, same results with the Fan switch set to Auto and Cool, Heat and Off, the blower still runs. Image
Robert

Hi,

Just getting in office and reading this. If it is repaired already or any changes, please let me know.

Otherwise, I'll reply back shortly.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Hi,

The top of the run capacitor appears to be bulging somewhat, it should be completely flat.

Might just be the pic though. Anyway, with the rust and especially if it is original run cap, I would replace it.

I would also replace the contactor.

IF it is a bad cond. fan motor, run cap would need replacing anyway and contactor too at that age, so replacing those first might be all it needs.

That is a dual run cap for fan motor and compressor, so would help compressor as well.

Do you have 240vac across contactor bottom black and white wires ?

Also 240vac across top two black and red wires at contactor with cross bar pulled in on a call for cooling ?

The inside blower motor running continuously is most likely a bad fan relay.

Look in the furnace controls area, back wall will be transformer, fan relay and sequencer.

Relay contacts :

2 4
5 6

1 3

If 4 to ground (metal wall of control area) reads 120vac with t-stat OFF, relay is bad.

Can give ordering info if needed.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
2canSAM

Robert,

Thanks so much for the through reply. I will have to check the items you mentioned when I get home later. Can you please give me ordering info so I can have a rough figure in my head, if it is not too much to ask? Thanks again
Robert

Hi,

Dual Run Capacitor # 1498-5401 @ $22.25

Contactor # 024-27531-000 @ $22.83

Fan Relay # 3110-3301 @ $27.14

Shipping for one or all 3 = $8.00

All 3 can be seen and ordered through PayPal from this page :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanAC.html

Click on pics for enlarged views.

Thanks,
Robert
2canSAM

Robert,

Here is what I have done so far and the current situation. Since the Fan relay tested bad I replaced it and it did take care of the blower fan running constantly but the breaker for the AC still kept tripping. I figured this would be the capacitor not holding enough charge and the AC pulling too much so this morning I replaced the capacitor and contacter. The unit was running fine for about 2 hours and then the breaker tripped again. I replaced the breaker and then it ran for about 3 hours and I noticed the air coming out of the vents was no longer cold. Checked them and with intake air being 80F the vents were only putting out 75F. I checked the refrigerant lines and they were not cold, cool but not cold. During this time the condenser fan never shut off or tripped the breaker. Seeing as the fan relay, capacitor, contactor and breaker have been replaced I am guessing that the compressor is going or has already gone. What do you think at this point? I am preparing for the fact that it may be time for a replacement but seeing as I have been out of work since Feb of this year I am trying to put that off as long as possible. We can handle the temps for the next few weeks and keep the unit off, but can I run the heater side of this unit if the AC compressor is bad? Thanks again for all your help.
Robert

Hi,

Compressor most likely bad. You can run the furnace, it is separate from a/c system except they use the same indoor blower motor.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert