Insulating Skirting

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Kattrina

We have a contractor coming in on Monday to redo our skirting. We had originally built mini stud walls and put 3.5" insulation in on 24" centers. Then chicken wire to keep it up just in case it slipped. Last winter we put in a new furnace (before we used garage un-vented propane heaters). Our heating bills went from $1200 to $3000 for the winter. Needless to say we can't have that again this year. So we hired someone to redo the belly of the trailer with extra pink insulation and then 4x8 sheets of Styrofoam over that. He was here yesterday to really take a look underneath and determined that underneath was ok it was our skirting that was the problem. Most of it had slid down and was wet. We never put in skirting vents before and was wondering if that was the problem with the wet stuff. We will be putting in styrofoam this time instead of the pink insulation.
My question is do we need vents? Our home is sitting on 8" of gravel. This past winter the furnace would come on and stay on for hours. When it first kicks on there is ice cold air coming in from the heat registers. We had the company that installed it for us come out twice and found nothing wrong. Also contacted the furnace company it self and they informed us that it was the right size.
Thanks for any suggestions
Kattrina
Greg

The short answer is yes & no. You SHOULD have ventilation during the warm months. Most of us close the vents in the cold. Mark has automatic vents in the web store.

I would still recheck the belly to make sure there are no holes, and insulation in the skirting can't hurt.

You are always going to get cold/cool air when the blower first kicks on, just like hot water in the faucet until the warm works through. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rod

1.Certainley make sure they belly pan is in good order.

2. look into Rapid Wall insulated skirting. Great product. We have installed it on many homes and homeowners have been happy with the results. This is available with automatic vents that open & close on their own at about 40 degrees.

3.The Furnace should not run for hours at a time even with a poor belly pan which you said the contractor says your is OK. If this is a double wide look at your crossover duct. Make sure its attatched on both sides and in good condition. I have seen some doubles where the crossover duct is directly under the furnace and has come unhooked. Resulting in all the heat being pushed under your home. You said the furnace is the correct size. What size is the home and what size is the furnace. Make & Model will help too. I have a feeling this may end being an HVAC issue.

Rod
Kattrina

Our home is a single that started out as a 14x70' but we have remodeled extensively. So our whole square footage is around 1700 sq ft now. Our Furnace is a Coleman 70K. According to our contractor the underside is insulated but the belly board is shredded or missing.
What is a HVAC issue?
Yanita

This sounds like it is an HVAC issue. Heating Venting and Air Conditioning. I am not a tech but have some thoughts...I am going to move this to the HVAC forums and let our tech take a look and offer his advice. Please read the posting tips for that forum.

Thanks Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Kattrina

Yanita
I was looking for this post in the HVAC forum but can't find it. I am new to this so not sure how it works or what happens when something is moved.
I really still need a answer on the underbelly. My contract will be there tomorrow morning and need to know if I have to have a underbelly?
If I put in the insulated skirting and stuff more insulation in where I can underneath will that be enough?
Robert

Hi,

Am away on vacation, so a little late replying here. Yes, you need underbelly to hold heat in belly to keep water pipes from freezing and to help keep home floors from rotting and from being ice cold.

You also do need vents in skirting to be opened above 40* and closed below it.

The drier and warmer it is under your home, the more comfortable it will be inside and way less problems from floor down.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Kattrina

Thanks for all the reply's. Our contractor has just finished this morning. Re-insulated the belly of the home and redid all the skirting with Styrofoam insulation. I will be timing the running of the furnace now.
I have a new question on our cold air return. There is only one and that is in the closet of our furnace. At the present we have it covered, sorta. Nothing permanent but there is only a sliver of a opening in the floor. How big of a opening do I have to have for this return. I have heard of people putting in two cold air returns for better performance of their furnaces, is that true?
maryella1

i have used SIPs (structurally insulated panels). i live near a manufacturer of these and get the out cuts for free. they are one sheet of USB, 4 or 6 inches of rigid foam and another sheet of USB. it works very well. anyone had any experience with these? mary
Robert

Hi,

Keep all of return air grille open at all times. Only have the return air space designated by manufacturer for your unit.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Kattrina

We will have to make a grill for it then. Like I said there is a piece of sheet metal laying over it with just a sliver of a opening for cold air return.
Kattrina

maryella
Sound like you have great material for your skirting. If it is the stuff I am thinking about. What are you using it for?