How do I know if its a loadbearing wall?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Navarre doublewide

We have just bought a 1995 doublewide (1748 sq feet) in Navarre FL. The people that had it before we bought it repaired motercycles in the livingroom and one bedroom was for the snakes (cross my heart, this is the truth).. I am removing the carpet, (it is not under the walls thank goodness) and cleaning like a madman!! When you walk thru the front door about 12 feet into the room is a wall that seperates the livingroom from a bedroom... I want to remove this wall to open it to the bedroom. I do not need 4 bedrooms but would like the livingroom, diningroom, and kitchen to be kinda open to each other... I want to remove about 14 feet along the center wall, I will be leaving an 18 inch square "post" where the wall origionaly (spelling??) began for support and to keep the light switches and a plug on... HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS IS A LOAD BEARING WALL??? I have pics... sorry its so big I can take more and use a different camera...
DSCF0027.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The truth never lies... JanetGafneaBrown
Greg

Hi & welcome. In a doublewide home the center wall is a loaded wall and can not be removed. Your home should be new enough that you may be able to contact the manufacturer to see how or if you can modify it and retain the structural integrity of the wall. This may include adding headers or extra studs. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Right click on the image and select View Image. Shows the picture real well. I am very sure that is a load bearing wall. Always could be wrong, but not this time I bet.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

I have always been told that any wall in a double wide running perpendicular with the floor joist is load bearing. I know that to be the truth with my doublewide.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
airsoftamazon

Does the top of the wall seem like it's not going all the way up to the ceiling? Maybe it's an optical illusion. But if it doesn't and that is the original manufactured wall that hasn't been disturbed, then it shouldn't be because it's not holding anything up. But like I said, it could be an optical illusion.
"Give a hoot, Don't pollute"
Navarre doublewide

THANK YALL.. I knew I could count on yall for answers... I guess I will just learn to live with that wall... THANKS AGAIN
The truth never lies... JanetGafneaBrown