My furnace cycles too often

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dkobel

I have a Coleman furnace, Model # 9766A856. It seems to turn on and off quite a bit. I was told to check the stack to check for obstructions such as birds or bee hives, but al that was clear. I was told then it may be the limit switch. I have not replaced that. I thought that it may be the thermostat, so I installed a programmable thermostat. None of these fixed the short timed cycles. Any clue of what to do next?
furnaceman

hi, can u be more specific, as to y u think it is cycling 2 quickly?
r we talking about starting and stopping with a minute or so, or r we talking about u think its running for 2 short a cycle, then starting back up?

don't take this wrong, but have u changed the filter, had the blower wheel cleaned, or do u have a vent or 2 that is covered, check those first. then get back 2 us, also make sure there is no draft hitting the t-stat or direct sunlight. I had a call last week where a customer's dryer vent was un hooked, and the t-stat was 5 feet from it, the hot air shut it off, but then when dryer shut off it started again, vent fixed, no moreproblems.
dkobel

There is no filter. Blower wheel is clean. No vents covered. I guess the best way I can describe it is that sometimes the heat will come on for a few minutes, turn off for a minute, then come back on in a minute. It doesn't always do it, but then again I don't constantly pay attention to it.
I haven't lived in a home that has forced air in years, but I know it's just not right. The thermostat is in a good spot, so I don't think that is it, and the dryer is at the other end of the home, so I'm good there.
Robert

Hi,

No filter is a definite problem, that is a must. Can you recheck model number, the number given is not a valid number.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dkobel

Sorry, I switched the numbers on the model number. The # 7966 A856. I don't know exactly where the filter would go. I just got this place in late August, and the guy who owned it before wasn't a lot of help. Not a very clean person either. ewww
Robert

Hi,

Is it just the blower turning on and off or the burner also ? Will send filter info along with any other help at same time once I know for sure what is happening.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dkobel

It's mostly the fan that cycles. It only happens once in a while, but it is annoying, and I'm sure it's not right.
Robert

Hi,

I would start by checking the fan switch, back wall of control box, should be switch on the left.

Fan Switch # 7975-3281 can be seen and ordered through PayPal from left side of this page:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html

Thanks,
Robert