Short Cycle on Coleman Furnace - Help!

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Frank55

Afternoon Robert,

Just a heads-up that I just fired the furnace up for the first time this season, and unfortunately it didn't magically fix itself. The short cycles are about 30 seconds now.

Tomorrow I'm going to proceed with your last instructions.

Thanks,
Frank
Robert

Hi Frank,

With the amount of these forum questions plus private emails I get daily, need some review here please.

Jog my memory a bit so I'll know what's up, LOL.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Frank55

Mornin' Robert,

Our problem started out "and remains" short cycles. Initially,. I suspected the fan, and where we left off last year was me removing the fan, cleaning oiling and reinstalling; the fan seems to run more smoothly, and quietly; however, that didn't cure the problem; initially, the short cycles were "minutes" long, now they're down to "30 seconds or less."

All other pertinent information, model no. etc., is in the beginning of this thread.

Thanks,
Frank
Robert

Hi Frank,

Well duh, didn't even notice it was page 2 of 2 and continuation of previous forum questions.

Check for the shields or switches in wrong place.

Test fan switch.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Frank55

Mornin' Robert,

IT'S FIXED!!! HURRAY!!

FYI: My problem began last year with "short cycles." The first thing we did was call the utility company and had them do a free inspection; part of this encompassed cleaning the gas nozzle out with a paperclip (I supplied). Although that didn't cure the entire problem, one of the nozzles was indeed clogged with a web, and one half of the burners wouldn't ignite--so that was "a part of the problem. "

From there, I pulled the fan and squirrel cage and thoroughly cleaned and oiled etc., the apparatus. There was a significant difference in the operation of the heater, it was much quieter and seemed to run with less effort.

All this was done at the tail end of winter last year; two days ago we fired up the heater only to find that the "short cycles" were even shorter. Taking your advice Robert, I checked the shield, which was in place, but while there, I noticed that once again "only one of the burners was lighting"; I re-cleaned the the orifices and "voila" the heater is working perfectly!!!!

Thanks for all of your help--your the best!!!

Cheers,
Frank
Robert

Hi Frank,

That's great, glad to hear this update. You're very welcome, happy to help and thanks for the kind words.

Gotta clean them orifices at least once a year to keep the spiders and webs cleaned out.

Them critters love them some orifices until it gets hot and gaseous,LOL.

Then it just clogs up and closes off the opening.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert