Drywall screws and installation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Erick

The drywall in my room is beat up so I'm going to replace it all so I can run speaker wire behind it for my surround sound system. What size screws should I use for the job? 3/8" drywall is pretty flimsy. If I increase it to 1/2" I'd also need to fix the window and door frames (which I'm planning on doing soon anyway). Also can a normal size mobile home hold up 5/8" drywall on the ceiling if I choose to remove the ugly panels? Thank you.
Dean3

For 3/8" DW I use 1" or 1 1/4" screws,,for 1/2" DW I use 1 1/4" or 1 5/8" screws,,for 5/8" DW I use 1 5/8" or 2" screws. If there's some reason to use shorter than recommended by area specs then I simply use more.Screw length needs to be increased when going through more than 1 layer of material of course.

If it was originally built with the lighter ceiling material then You should try to find the specs for Your home,both truss specs and structural support specs. They do make 1/2" firecode DW sheeting nowadays wich is lighter than the 5/8",,check Your area to see if it is approved for ceiling use. If Your home originally had no drywall then using it on both walls and ceilings may be too heavy,it all depends on what You have and what it's rated for,,sorry I can't be more help than that.

Dean