Original tie-downs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DonCO

We've got a 1990 Bellavista. We moved it from it's original site 4 years ago. In that process, the movers cut the original straps which go completely over the top of the mobile. Is there any way to use these again (they're still about 2 feet long), or are we SOL?
Thanx,
Don
Brenda OH

Don,

it sounds like you are not in an area that requires a post moving inspection, because I would have had the state, the local board of health,etc telling me exactly what they want in the new tie downs and anchors before the home could have been reoccupied! lol

if you are ever thinking about selling the home, you will need to find out what your area requirements for tie downs and anchors are if the buyer wants to use most types of bank financing that require a home inspection.

The tie down/anchor requirements are usually set by what the weather conditions are in your area (ex: Florida probably requires a different system because of high winds vs Ohio, where the requirements are going to have to take into account frost heaving the ground.)

there are tie down straps that use the frame and are located under the home, which seem to be the more modern way to go. And different anchors if going into concrete vs soil.

so my suggestion is, this is a safety issue and home value issue that could bite you in the backside if not done correctly, look into the requirements, think of it as an upgrade to the home so the cost doesn't feel so outrageous, and get a good quality product correctly installed on the home.

Brenda (OH)
JD
Site Admin

I have never installed splices, but I have seen them on approved setups. So I did a search on the specific code. The following is from current Florida code and not HUD specifically, but I am sure that it matches or exceeds HUD code, as most of Florida set-up code is stricter than HUD. You might be able to find specific code for your area using the search term "tie down strap splice". I have to get to work and don't have any more time. Here is what I found.

15C-1.0104 Installation Standards for Anchors and Tie-downs.

(g) Over-the-roof tie-down straps or tie points shall be connected to a ground anchor. If a strap has been damaged, cut off or removed, a replacement strap shall be installed or spliced using two (2) listed strap seals affixed to twelve inch (12'') overlap of strap with two (2) crimps evenly spaced on the seal.

Just above this statement 5-g, it talks about homes where the straps are missing or not usuable, so you may want to read that part. Here is the link

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/readFil ... 1.0104.doc

If the above will apply to you, then you need to find a set-up crew that can install them for you.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DonCO

Thanx, Brenda and JD. I should've mentioned we're in SE Colorado, so we definitely know about winds. Once or twice a year we get winds of 80-90 mph. And to cap it off, I had them set the thing up East-to-West. Not real smart when the strongest winds are North-South. Especially since I knew that all along. Anyway it's holding just fine.
I asked 'cuz we're planning to move to SW Missouri & I wanna make sure it's tied down correctly this time.
JD, I appreciate the great info. I'll make sure we get it done right this time.
Appreciate all the help.
Don