Strange bathtub trap

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Northern Star

I've been lurking for a while and found a lot of useful infomation, but have a question now. I have an early 70's Northern Star 10x50. This is a pre-HUD home and has no insulation beneath (This is a seasonal home, and insulating it is not really a problem I want to tackle). It has flexible copper tubing for water lines, and cast iron for drains, all of which run above floor level through a channel built in the corner of rooms. Both the water and drain lines are starting to leak and show their age. I want to replace them with PEX and PVC, respectively. Due to the fact that this channel along the side of the rooms is removeable, this would be a fairly easy project from an access standpoint.

The problem lies with the bathtub trap. Because none of the plumbing extends below the floor level, the manufacturer used this sort of metal box that is about 4" square and has a series of baffles inside to act as a trap. I've looked and cannot find a replacement for this. I'm sure it's not up to any current code. The question is, how to deal with this. I would prefer not to cut into the floor, as the belly is not sealed, and don't like the idea of leaving this thing as a weak link in an otherwise new system. Suggestions?
Greg

Check the Books & Parts section of the site. Mark has P traps in stock that should fit. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Floor level will work. There should be enough room and height at the behind drain of the tub. Usually you will have the P trap attached to a straight 1 1/2" pipe or waste arm which goes to a T in the 1 1/2" vent tube going up to the roof and down to the main drain line, usually 3" in a MH
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Northern Star

Thanks for the input. I'll try the p-trap.