Replace storm door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hankn

Can I use regular storm doors sold at Lowes on my front door or are there special doors for mobile homes? Second what do people think about the comdination front and storm doors?

Also how hard is it to replce the shower in the master? It is a double shower with the sliding doors and it needs to be replaced.
Greg

Hi & Welcome. Storm doors are storm doors, Lowes, HD, or any one else. The thing that is important is size, Many Mobiles use a door that is a few inches shorter than the standard 80", As long as it fits, it will work.

Replacing the shower is straight forward for the most part. Remove the old, and replace with the new. Again many mobiles use a shorter (54") tub rather than the standard 60". To do any plumbing on the supply side you will need to either remove a wall panel or make an access panel. The drains are usually accessed from the bottom, some have a removable panel, others you need to carefully cut the underbelly material to get to the drains. Mark has the belly repair tape in the store here on the site there is not much that will stick to the belly, You can do a search, JD has a method that works well for him. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rod

For the storm door if you need to cut it down to size you can get a universal door seal for the bottom.

There is a difference between a typical mobile home storm and a residential. The majority of MH storm doors (Philips, Elixir etc) will have a receiving channel in the framing that slides over the door casing. The residential storm door will just be a flat extrusion. So if this is case you will have to install some trim arond the door casing in order to mount the residential style. Just watch the depth so you dont end up with a gap between the door & the threshold.

Good Luck

Rod