Insulation ~ Outside

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Oldcrow

I bought a Mobile Home back some years ago, it was used then. When I bought the home, I gutted the inside, and redone the wiring, plumbing and fixtures. Then I dry walled the walls, Put a little more insulation in the walls no much, because of room.

When the inside was done I tackled the outside. I had a huge roof installed, the length of the home and twice as wide. Next I stripped the aluminum siding off. Redone the outside walls with plywood 3/4". Then I came back with Vinyl siding. I figured I did a good job, looked real nice, lots of complements. Also installed double pane windows all the way around.

Then I went ahead and added a large addition, a utility room and a large bedroom. I insulated the walls, floors, and ceilings. This addition is the warmest of the entire house, it has baseboard electric heat. The rest of the home has a Coleman gas furnace.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you to know where I'm going to.

Now it hasn't been to bad in the winters, we have survived. But this winter seems to be different, its darn cold in the place. The gas stove is working as it should. But the walls are cold.

Now what I'm asking is, I'd like to stripe the siding off part of the home, and insulate the outside walls with Styrofoam, I'm looking at 1.5" or 2.0". What I'm looking for is has anyone done this type of work before, and can I get some advice as how you did it or would do this work..

Ideas please!! Thanks Oldcrow (Ron.)
"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors and let every new year find you a better man." ~Benjamin Franklin
Jim from Canada

I sheathed mine in Exotherm. A polyisocyanurate foam insulation covered in foil both sides. You have to use tuck tape (the clear red stuff) on the seams. I used a 3/4" which is R5.5, the real benifit comes from sealing the air infiltration and the foil reflecting the heat. It also uncouples any wood from the elements, so thermal bridging is reduced.
Oldcrow

Jim from Canada wrote:I sheathed mine in Exotherm. A polyisocyanurate foam insulation covered in foil both sides. You have to use tuck tape (the clear red stuff) on the seams. I used a 3/4" which is R5.5, the real benifit comes from sealing the air infiltration and the foil reflecting the heat. It also uncouples any wood from the elements, so thermal bridging is reduced.
So after you finished this, did you cover with vinyl or what.. I'd like to reinstall the Vinyl siding back on..
Also where can I see this sheathing, Home Depot or Loews, I have both in my area.. Looks like a lot of work, but should be worth it.. R5.5 is that enough, doesn't seem like it would be enough in the R valve..

Anyway thanks for the feed back, sure appreciate it..I see your from Ontario also.. I'm just outside of Windsor..

Oldcrow (Ron.)
"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors and let every new year find you a better man." ~Benjamin Franklin
Jim from Canada

I got mine at Moffat and Powell, It is also at Rona, and at other building stores. I put siding over mine. R 5.5 doesn't sound like much, but it is the air infiltration barrier and the reflective foil that makes the difference. It acts like a house wrap if you Tuck Tape the seams. Just ask about Exotherm, or Esclad, or Foil faced polyisocyanurate at the store. It comes 1/2" up to a full inch I think. I have full 2x6 walls, so I didn't go the thickest.