Coleman 3400-816

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

cnaegler

Hello,
I recently moved into a 1987 dbl.wide that has a Coleman 3400-816 electric furnace. the problem i'm having is that the furnace puts out very little heat. It runs continuously but never brings the temp up to the desired temp and the power bill is extremely unusually high. I tested to see if the elements are receiving power with a multimeter and they are so i'm stumped. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm thinking a sequencer or limiter? How do i test these items? Thanks in advance.
cnaegler

OK, so i researched a little here on the forum. When i check voltage to the elements after t-stat calls for heat for 2 mins, i'm only getting 120- 150 vac instead of 240+VAC. When i check the sequencers' brass H terminals with t-stat calling for heat after 2 mins, i'm getting anywhere from 1-14 vac. M terminals are reading 120 ish VAC at the same time. Is it my sequencers gone bad?
cnaegler

Ok, so i replaced the sequencer with a new one from this site, because i couldn't get anyone to help me here, so i made what i thought was a good guess. Well, that didn't solve the problem. i checked the elements with a ampmeter...only the middle element has 20 ish amps, the others have 0. But before i switched out the sequencers, the other 2 elements had 20- ish amps and the middle one had none so something screwy is happening. I also installed a new digital thermostat and it worked great until i replaced the batteries and now nothing...just a blank screen. I had a local HVAC company come out and fix it a few years ago and they just ended up jerry- rigging the thing so. It now has a 3500-6901a blower fan in it.
Robert

Hi,

Check the transformer primary-line side for 240vac across the terminals and secondary-load side for 24vac.

WITH a call for heat from t-stat after 1 to 2 minutes, you should get 24vac across front and back bottom sequencer terminals (brass usually).

Then, you should have 120vac to ground at each left side end terminal of element and right side end terminal.

They are mounted on white ceramic insulators.

What brand and style t-stat did you get ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?