coleman 3400-815 manual & questions

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dwewer

I have a coleman 3400-815 heater and I have had the sequencer replaced by an hvac man, he put a 4 pole sequencer in, instead of a 3 pole. I was told this makes no difference. Then it was cycling 12 minutes with a 5 minute break, then cycle for 8 minutes and then a 5 minute break. This is eating up my electric bill, so i talked to someone else and it was suggested that I replace the limiting switches. It is still doing the cycling after I did this. I have a question, are the heat strips supposed to heat up before the fan comes on or is it ok for the fan to come on at the same time? I am having a time with this heater and if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. It has been really cold here and we are sitting in sweats and under covers due to a tremendous light bill. We have resolved to using space heaters at this time and not using the furnace, until the furnace is fixed. I would really like to know where I could get a manual on this heater.
Thanks,
Diane
Robert

Blower comes on with first and second elements or shortly afterwords.

Check the ducts to ensure they are not loose or have holes in them.

Place a pocket thermometer in the louvered front door panel where return air comes into furnace.

Then do same at closest register to furnace and tell me what they read at each.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dwewer

Hi Robert,
I have been checking out all my vents and there does not seem to be any holes or leaks. However, the vent on the roof seems to have air coming through it all the time. Is there a flapper valve on it and do we actually need this vent? I am thinking that the valve is stuck open and that is why the heater is coming on so much when it is turned on. What do you think? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Diane
Robert

Hi,

Maybe the damper is not closing.

Here are troubleshooting steps for the blend air systems:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ArticleBlendAir.html

The blend air system rids the small attic cavity of heat and moisture to prevent mildew and mold and also mixes fresh air into the return air to be carried into the home.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dwewer

Hi Robert,
Thanks for your help, but it seems that the fresh air vent and other vent are together and the valve is staying open. I do not have a damper motor, so i closed off the vent and now my heater comes on for about 3- 5 minutes and is off for about 20. The house feels warm and we are now happy again. So thanks for your help.
Diane
Robert

Hi Diane,

Some didn't have the damper motors and the vent at furnace is the fresh air only vent.

That happens quite a bit in winter allowing cold air in when furnace is off.

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert