Coleman EB12B squirrel cage vibration/noise

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jwofford

Hi Guys,
If anyone can answer this question I know you guys can. Last night out of nowhere my blower motor started vibrating pretty bad, almost exactly like an engine that is skipping. Outside unit and heat strips will come on, but blower starts vibrating/shaking/jumping/ etc.... Have heard a little squeaking/squeeling lately when blower is running. Is this enough info to say that bearings in motor have gone bad and motor needs replacing. Or could relay or cap. be bad? How could i test the relay/cap. to rule them out. I dont want to buy a whole blower motor if i dont have to. Could I take a new motor and put it in existing squirrel cage. I am a builder who is very experienced in most trades, HVAC however is by far my weakest area. I have meter and can safely preform most test for voltage,amps,continuity, etc....Thanks ahead of time for your experience and advice, you guys are too kind! God Bless!
Robert

Hi,

Run Cap, relay and sequencer would not cause that. That is either bad bearings , motor mount loose/broken or blower wheel spinning off hub or wheel balance clip fell off.

Remove the blower assembly by disconnecting wire harness, remove screws down each bottom side flange and maybe front and slide housing out.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... lower.html

Inspect carefully and spin the wheel to eliminate the wheel or find problem.

Inspect the motor mount carefully.

IF mount is fine, wheel is fine and no wobbles when spinning, then probably the motor.

See if motor shaft has any side to side paly.

It will have some slight in and out play, but should not move side to side.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jwofford

Readers,

Early tue. morn anticipting the worst I pulled the blower motor and housing from air handler. Upon disassembly and inspection I noticed the set screw that held the blower wheel to the motor shaft had worked itself loose. The wheel was spinning off the shaft. After cleaning, reassembling, and reinstalling the blower motor, it workd better than ever. Smoother. More air volume. Quieter. WOW!!!! I was elated to save 3 or 4 hundred in materials alone, but I will be buying some of the aerosol cleaner(INT & EXT) from this site. Robert, you nailed it! Although I had it repaired b4 I read your reply, you were exactly right. I am in awe. I hope this thread can save someone else some money,grief, or cold nights. THANKS GUYS!!! I am HUMBLY GRATEFUL!!
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Glad it is working great !!

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?