Coleman Model 2865-666 intermittent blower issue

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

BrianB54

I have a Coleman 80 Series furnace with the above model number that is having intermittent problems with the blower motor coming on. The thermostat will call for heat, the furnace will ignite and after a couple minutes, no blower. If I then turn the thermostat to off, wait a minute, and then turn it back to Heat, it will usually get the blower to turn back on.

The house and furnace are new to me, but it looks like a newer blower motor and capacitor and the ignition board has also been replaced. When the blower motor starts up it goes up to 11 or 12 amps before settling in around 4.3 or so. The furnace nameplate says it has a 9.2 amp Max.

Also, there have been occasions where the blower motor will turn off once it has come on but the furnace will stay lit.

My ex-neighbor (HVAC installer) came over, but we couldn't get it to repeat the blower motor issue and the unit doesn't have a diagnostic computer on it. The only thing he suggested is maybe disconnecting the low speed-power wire and using the capped off blue-power to try and speed up the blower motor in case the issue is related to the limit and fan switch and temperature.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated as the waking up in the morning to a cold house is no fun and the gas burning with no blowing is costing me $$$!

Brian
Robert

Hi Brian,

Could be several things, one being a faulty fan and limit switch.

Fan Switch # 2845 - 3171 can be seen and ordered through PayPal from here if needed :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html

I do not advise changing blower speeds without having determined the cause of the problem.

Would be best to get an hvac tech to do some tests and properly diagnose the situation.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?