Coleman Evcon heat pump

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

RUPlumbing

Model # BRHQO421CB

I have had the defrost circuit board replaced by a hvac company, twice. The first time the heat pump was freezing up between 28 F and 40 F outside temp. The first time they replaced it would get hung up in defrost cycle. They came back and put another board in. Today it was hung up at 63 F outside temp and it nearly burnt my hand when I touched the top of the unit. It was making a loud humming noise.

I shut it down and restarted. Seems to be working now but it goes into the defrost cycle more than it ever did before. This unti is a 1996 model.

I'm a plumber and not a hvac man, but it seems like maybe the circuit board is bad, not the right one, or maybe there is another problem in a relay or something, maybe a sensor?

Please help. I've called them back out again, this will be their 5th trip. HELP!

Ricky
RUPlumbing

Forgot to check the email notification
Robert

Hi Ricky,

With a heat pump, a company would get no more than 2 trips to resolve the issue(s).

Need to test the defrost sensor and see why the defrost board is tripping too often and/or hanging up.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?