Adding an overhang to existing roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MarkP

Hi All
This is my first winter in my mobile home and i have found it incredibly cold.(Ontario,Canada)
I want to replace shingles and an add overhang to 2 x 6 vaulted ceiling. Is this possible? Is there a standard R-value insulation used in all Mobiles or do they use less in southern mobile homes. I'm lead to believe that some of the homes came here from southern US states.
There is a lot of great info on this site.
Thanks to everyone who contributes.
Mark
Jim from Canada

Hi Mark

Welcome fellow Canuk! I replied to your PM, but should add to it. If you have 2x6 trusses on your roof and add a 2x4, on edge as I did, I would, along with the ridge vent, and vented soffit, add styrofoam baffles and then insulation. If you can get it sprayed with Walltight (the blue stuff Mike Holmes uses) that will give you the best insulation/air infiltration system. Next best would be Roxul brand insulation as it is celulose and a higher R/inch than fibreglass.

Jim
Jim from Canada

by the way where are you located? I may be near. Also, we are putting our home on the market come spring. Had it on in the fall for a bit , but we don't want to move in winter. I am in Seaforth, ON.

Jim
Jim from Canada

If I was younger, I'd remember to put everything in one post. here is a link to my roof job photo album on Facebook. Hope it works for you, I have no restrictions on viewing.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album ... =540237889

Jim
JD
Site Admin

There are many members of this forum who have added an overhang to their roofs. I thought Mark had an instruction book available on this web site for roofs, showing his design of framing for the overhang, but I could not find it just now. Maybe the overhang is shown in the Mobile/Manufactured Home Repair Manual available at the following link.
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/manual.htm
I can't tell you for sure because I gave my manual to a member a few years ago.

The best way to find out what will work for you is to come up with the design and take it to your local building inspector and ask them. This will let you know if your plan is legal or not. You will need a drawing, fastener pattern, and detailed material list, showing exactly what you would be using. They may tell you to upgrade the fasteners or the fastener pattern or maybe that the overhang cannot be added.

There is a minimum HUD code for mobile home insulation. I have included a table below. Keep in mind that many homes were built to exceed these minimum requirements. Building pre-HUD homes was basically wild west. Many homes were built with 2x2 studs, netting less than R4 of insulation to walls and sometimes the same amount in the ceilings.

JD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Jim from Canada

In Ontario, a permit is not required if you are not changing the slope, or restructuring the roof. Eaves are not considered a structural element of the roof. So unless framing members are being replaced or cut into, you do not need a permit. You may add pretty much whatever you want to the existing skeleton if you are within those guidelines.

Jim
Greg

JD, you are correct, Adding a short overhang IS covered in Mark's book as well as LOTS of other good information. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MarkP

Hi Jim
I'm just outside of Shelburne,Ont. Not sure where Seaforth is. I will be purchasing Marks book in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks for all the great info. Mark
MarkP

Great pictures Jim. Do you have any of the finished product?
Jim from Canada

we are about 2 hrs west of you Mark, on Hwy 8 between Stratford and Goderich.