Z flashing Questions and J rail

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

astegall1978

Hey, I have a metal on metal 1999 Claton Sensation singlewide. I have recently found that the corner of my home has water damage. It was a couple of reasons starting with a satellite dish not being sealed and my only other thought was water was running in at the top near the j-rail and down in to the plastic (underbelly) causing a number of problems. I have to replace the half of the outer sill plate on the end and the about 8 ft of the one on the side. I was wondering what i could do to prevent any of this in the future. I read about Z-Flashing and didnt know what or where i could find that and how i would install it. And one other Question I have is About my
J-rail. The middle of the house is running over the j-rail, Like its bent or not level and all the water run to the middle. I recaulked the seam, I thought that was the reason but now its just running over and down the side of the house. What do I do??? Any Info would be Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks,
Allen
Greg

The "Z" Flashing that you are referring to is bent on an aluminum siding brake. Many rental houses have them. You just need to buy a small roll of flashing and bend your own to what ever size you need. Or find a siding contractor, give him the measurements and have him bend them for you.

Leaks can be maddening, you just think you have every thing sealed, and you find it still drips. All I can say is to take a very close look and anything that looks like it might someday be a problem, SEAL UP!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
astegall1978

Thanks for that info about the flashing, Any thoughts what i could do about the J-rail and what to do about the water running over? I have thought about buying the repair manual when i get payed again the comming week. I have alot of stuff i want to do and i am sure it would help. Thanks again

Allen
JD
Site Admin

I don't know if there is much you can do with the existing J-channel. On a home that old, it very well could be lower at that point. If this is the small extruded J-channel, it could be replaced and put on straight. This would also seal the j-channel to the home. I am not sure it is worth it though. The J-channel is not expensive, but the shipping could be. Maybe you can find a local supplier. The J-channel is best installed with butyl putty tape, not the std gray stuff it was originally installed with.

If the J-channel is the light aluminum mini gutters, I would not totally remove them. They are more incorporated into the roof edge. Many members here install full sized gutters under them. the mini gutters can be easily removed by scoring them with a utility knife and bending them to they break off.

The Z-bar flashing on older mobile homes is generally custom trim made on a brake as Greg said. Home stores sells galvanized and painted Z-bar in different sizes. If you this type of Z-bar on aluminum siding, be sure to caulk behind the Z-bar where it would touch or be next to the aluminum siding. This will help stop the corrosion that happens when you put these two metals together.

Hope this helps.
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
astegall1978

Thanks so much for all you help.
Brenda (OH)

this can help some, I have done this on about 3 older homes that had a low spot in the j channel...
(we are talking about the small channel of metal at the top of the walls/edge of the roof right? lol)

If the water runs off mostly in one spot, you can take a piece of aluminum flashing, and bend it in half at about a 45 degree angle, slide it up under the j flashing at the low spot, screw it onto the wall, and caulk the screw holes... the shape is made so the water falls off the front of the diverter, if it goes off the end, bend the flap down towards the ground more)

this pitches the water out away from the wall, and it runs off the diverter and not down the wall. you may have to stand out in the rain and fine tune it, but it is worth it....

you will probably have to rebend it from time to time, if an large icicle hangs on it and pulls it down too straight..

I also put diverters like this over windows or doors if the water is flowing down the front of them, to keep water from sitting in the bottom channel and seeping into the wall..... it does not cost a lot to try this which is another advantage.... long term... maybe need a seamless replacement gutter?

Brenda (OH)
Brenda (OH)

thought of something else...

on one home, the water was flying out of the channel and down the wall because the j channel was full of roof coating... I scraped it out with the claw end of a hammer (picture hanging the hammer in the channel by the hook end, I scraped back and forth, and vacuumned the loosened junk out with a shop vac)

the j channels then carried away rain just fine except in one spot in the front, where I put one of the handy dandy diverters....

Brenda (OH)